Very thin black tape for filmholder repairs

tim_atherton9

Very thin black tape for filmholder rpeairs

I'm looking for some very thin tough black tape to repair my Mido

8x10 holders

The normal film holder type tape won't do the job.

First, unlike regular film holders, I'm fairly sure it does need to

be light tight.

Secondly it needs to be very thin - the bottom flap hinge that the

tape forms is on the top suface of the darkslide, not the end. Thick

(i.e. "normal" thickness) tape causes a slight ridge which will

probably let in light once it's placed in the clamshell for use.

(e.g. normal gaffer/duct tape is too thick)

It needs to be 1/2" wide - I'm thinking maybe some kind of black

mylar/metalized tape maybe? I've hunted through all the (few) auto

repair/bodywork/ electronics/hardware stores in town - nothing that

fits the bill.

Any ideas?

thanks

I'm shooting in the dark here because I'm not familiar with Mido holders.

But film holders always have to be designed in such a way as to accommodate the tape.

This is usually accomplished by milling (or carving, or shaving) out the space that the tape will occupy.

If you can measure the depth of this offset, then you have more guidance as to what kinds of materials you can use.

Additionally, I seriously doubt that the tape itself has to be light-tight. If this were so, then this would lead me to believe that the Mido holders are poorly designed. If all I've read of them is true, this is definitely not the case. But the point is, I've never seen any kind of holder that isn't designed such that the parts themselves (minus tape) form a light-tight environment.

In any event, if the offset is deep enough, try finding some thin leather. Morocco leather comes to mind. Some goatskin is thin enough but that's a crap shoot; it varies in thickness from one hide to another, and very often from one part of the hide to another.

You could also try blackout cloth. It's fairly dimensionally stable and certainly light tight. Regular contact cement or rubber cement can be used for a permanent bond. Put the dull, coated side in contact with the work. Try to make sure that you've got dry heat on both surfaces. I suspect that even if you live in a humid environment, a 75- or 100-watt bulb in a desk lamp shining on both surfaces for a few minutes before applying the adhesive could work well to "prime" the surfaces.

Hope this helps at all.

A bookbinder who specializes in restoring books may have what you need. I just think about the variety of materials used for spines, covers and corner reinforcements, some of them probably as thin and flexible as you want them for the hinge. Regards from Munich, Uli.