From my first roll Leica R9

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leica, Nikon SLR, Fuji P&S digital or P&S Olympus film?

If you are seeing huge differences compared to a Nikon F100 and pro Nikkor glass that's great Stephen but I think you need to partake in a blinded survey and check your "sense" at the door. Photography is a lot more about lighting, composition, exposure etc than equipment and the best photographers can make a winning image with anything.

Not a work of art but a decent family photo of my daughter at soccer practice. I could have made it with any of the above cameras, though I bet the P&S cameras would handle the harsh backlighting better than any Leica or Nikon SLR!<div>008Yt4-18401584.jpg.85c8253b4e31b17c47ea97cee93d9389.jpg</div>

Steve, I made the mistake of posting my first Leica image on the Leica site

forum and what a stink they made! It too was a picture of my daughter, the

focus was off you couldnt see her face and the DOF was very weird but to me

it had something different. And boy were they rude, one shmuck told me I

shouldnt have a Leica - I later saw his own stuff and needless to say it was

mostly bridges-at-sunset crap. I got very upset and I have never posted a pic

there since. But keep posting, the great thing about this forum is that people

always post pics and for a beginner like me looking at pics is the only way to

learn. Seb

Maybe talk is cheap, but I don't recall anyone having the guts to prove me wrong. I don't post shots here because everything I shoot professionally is for exclusive publication. Most people in Los Angeles who read newspapers have probably seen my work (not under "Al Feng" though). Don't live in Los Angeles? Tough. And my personal work is my personal work, thank you very much.

<p>I don't expect you to understand the finer points of Photoshop because quite frankly if you think I "spoiled a good one" with "hackneyed" work - you're not there yet. Judging from the pictures you've posted and the rank amateur questions you've asked, your opinions on what constitutes good or "hackneyed" work simply don't matter.

<p>I will thank you for one thing, however. Because of people with more money than brains, like you, poorer photographers everywhere have the opportunity to pick up like-new-barely-used gear for cheap every time you ditch everything in search of the next magic piece of equipment that will "make my pitchures better."

It is always amusing that rather than coming up with some hard facts to dispute what I've said, the best you can come up with is "post some pics."

<p><i>"Yeah, show the man some respect, you guys. He's not only a vascular surgeon, he's a leading news photographer too!"</i>

<p>Actually, one of the best feature writers on our staff is an attorney, and one of our city editors is an electrical engineer. Our people are quite interesting and diverse.

• 1 month later...

Stephen,

Awesome picture! His expression is priceless. Kids can be such hams...and as for the naysayers in this thread...learn to let go of jealosy. It's such a destructive emotion. Just take a deep breath, pick up your camera, and put yourself in front of pictures that will bring joy to you and yours.

Cheers!

Chris