From my first roll Leica R9

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How stupid can some comments and some people get!

Guys, this his FIRST roll with his new camera! What did YOU shoot with

the first roll in your new camera? The entire Edward Weston's AND HCB's opus in one shot?

Also, what if he only shoots his kids with his R9 forever? Aren't your own kids a worthy

subject? Should he have gone, like: "Oh, after all. they're ONLY my kids, I'll go get myself a

disposable P&S. They don't deserve any better."

As if it was relevant, how much do YOU RATE your kids, guys?

And this from people who have probably spent fortunes on Leica equipment to shoot

many, many uninteresting pictures.

And what do you care, anyway?

Geez, this forum stinks sometimes!

Congratulations, Stephen. Shoot your kids to your heart's content. They're the kings in

your kingdom.

hi stephen,

i process all of my color film at walmart, which is just a fuji frontier that they keep clean, but then again, i'm going for a different aesthetic than a lot of leica folk.

and i for one like that shot - i'm all over snapshots and think that this one is very funny.

best, ian

Omg. The Persky clan is taking over photo.netEveryone please calm down and repeat after me: I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe I'm one with the universe

Thanks for the comments. It is truly amazing to see some of the outrageous comments towards a simple snapshot of someone's kid.

There are many exellenent people here, and I will continue to post despite some occasional posters who have the social skills of a hermit.

Grant said the picture technically sucks. There is truth to that. The color is somewhat off and the flash is bothersome. Some of this has to do with my technique and I think a lot had to do with the color lab. I guess the only way to get those great results is to shoot slides. I dialed in -1 2/3 on the flash but that may not have been enough.

Regards

Steve

Rene,

Lol I was surprise to see my Dad actually post here. I gave him the link to go see a picture of his grandkid. Rene, I would be very interested in seeing some shots of your kids with your Leica. Photographing kids is a major part of my photography I would definately like to see others at work.

Regards

Steve

I met a guy several years ago- he showed me his family snapshots from when he took his family on a trip to Moscow. This was in the seventies. He had no pretentions of being an artist or photographer, but his snapshot camera was a Blad and his color snaps were all custom printed 8x10 for the family album. He could afford what he wanted in his life and he had an intelligence that afforded him the best, and what he liked to use. I guess in the end it is to each his/her own and what the pocketbook allows.

Use "pro labs" for what pro labs are good for. The Fuji Frontier machine at the local Walgreen's is just fine for this sort of photography. I know of one "pro lab" where the owner often sends his wife over to Walgreen's with a bunch of C-41 film for develop only when he gets jammed up. He's probably not the only one...LOL

Take that negative to several Frontier labs, and let them print it. See who does a better job. There is human input. The machine has software switches to turn on and off oversaturated color, oversharpening, etc. Once you find one that prints well, let them have your future rolls. (So long as they don't scratch the film!) However, I can predict that it won't be the cheapest one...

Even the aforementioned "pro labs", at least some use Frontiers for prooting. (They might be more likely to put Kodak paper in them.)

Stephen, It's your money/camera/beautiful kid. Go for it! But to respond "Sorry it is not a picture of some chick's ass." is unnecessary and, quite franly, sexist. Two wrongs don't make a right here, no? That said, enjoy your camera and family. (And please learn to be more respectful of women. Remember: It took one to help you make your beautiful child.)

Lol, when I got the R9 camera in, my wife said wow that is a big and loud camera. She did give in and say it was fine as long as it takes similar shots to my M7.

She did not say it was ugly though.

I know she will think her Canon S60 digital is so cute!

Regards,

Steve