B&W Reversal Processing

I need a recommendation for film and chemistry to make some B&W slides.

The last time I did this was in the 1970s, and I used Kodak Direct Positive

Panchromatic and the kit they sold especially for this film. I see that Ilford has

info on their web site dealing with B&W reversal. Has anybody used it? How

well does it work? Are there any easy substitutions for the chemicals

available?

And, as I am on a septic system, does the wash water have any effect on the

septic tank? I do B&W processing without any problems, but all that goes

down the drain is wash water; all of my chemicals are removed for proper

disposal.

Kodak sells a reversal kit that they recommend for T-Max 100, which is reputed to work well. It uses a dichromate bleach and fogging second developer, so no reversal exposure is required. I've never used it, but as I understand the process, there are wash steps after the clearing bath (sodium sulfite solution to remove the bleach) and after the final fix, as there would be in ordinary B&W processing; neither of these washes should be any worse than the post-fix wash you do with regular negatives; sodium sulfite is relatively benign stuff and the quantity in the wash water will be much less than a gram if you drain your tank properly after the clearing bath, while the after-fix wash is no different from what you're used to. No bleach or second developer should find its way into the wash or drains unless you flat out spill the stuff.

If you do a goggle search a B&W slide website should turn up. I don't have the link at my finger tips. It starts out with D-72 and adds a few things. I haven't tried it but it's similar to the Ilford method without some of the nastiest chemicals. At least that's what I remember-)

In response to Mr. Davis, I would like to point out that ILFORD has published two different methods of reversal process in the past. The one that is published on the website contains less ingredients that would be considered hazardous, and in fact the ingredients can be purchased easily in Europe or the US.

Of course, while being less hazardous than many older methods, the chemicals should be handled with care. Consult the MSDS from your chemical supplier for more details.

David Carper

ILFORD Technical Service

I just read about Scala for the first time a month ago, so I don't know if its a new formulation. After posting my last reply, I went out to find the developing data where I read that it could be processed in Rodinal...and I couldn't find it. I started to sweat that I posted misinformation. Its not stated on Agfa's site anywhere that you can process Scala in Rodinal. Although, I've found Agfa's site and spec sheets lacking in the past.

Alas, I found what I was looking for, but I did make an unfortunate error:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

The instructions state that the devopment times are for making NEGATIVES with Agfa Scala... not transparencies. (I have no idea what the point of that would be...just buy some negative film??)

My sincerest apologies for my sophomoric misdirection.

Lw

John, If you want to mix the chemistry and process the film yourself, I have a very good formula for using TMax 100 or Tmax 400 films at full film speeds. I got the formula from the old PhotoTechniques magazine and it works just fine. The TMax films have a clear base and the whites sparkle and the contrast looks like the old Kodak formula that used PanatomicX film. Email me and I can send you all the data.

Paul Moshay

I have had succes using Kodak 5302 direct positve release film to make b+w slides. Contact print and you can use a safelight, develop like paper. Real cheap also, I think that the last time I bought some it was about $14.00 for a 100 foot roll. You can also use it in a 35mm camera but ISO is about 1.6