How much gear do you carry?

spanky

Sometimes I carry a big sports bag with every working camera I own (last count, around a dozen), and sometimes I narrow it down. Today when I was out, I carried my Spottie in a hard case I got with a non-functioning Ricoh a few months ago, including the 135 mm and 28 mm lenses, flash, etc., and my Moskva-5; the Spottie has two film carriers on the strap, both with 400TX, and I stuck a fresh roll of TMY 120 in a pill tube that fits it to have a spare for the Moskva. I didn't bother to take along the format mask.

A few times recently I've gone out with only my Minolta 16, but I probably won't do that again until I find a faster film for it; I'm shooting Imagelink HQ (microfilm) at EI 50, which amounts to a one stop push in the process I'm using, and I tend to underexpose because I don't believe the exposures I calculate from Sunny 16 -- f/4 at 1/30 is a little uncomfortable for the kind of street shooting I can manage, especially with a fixed focus lens and auxiliary diopters.

Sometimes I feel like shooting blurred action in a busy square but as I head to the door I look at the tripod and groan-- I'm not concerned about weight but the fact that it doesn't fit into my backpack still deters me.

I find I work best when I stick to one lens so it's usually a Nikon FM2 and a 50mm. This fits nicely into a small camera bag which is nicely disclosed inside a backpack. A mini-tripod usually goes along as well and is a great tool at night when a rubbish bin or other structure avails itself to add height.

In total: it weighs in at about 800g. What I like about this is that it's not dependent upon me carrying a bag-- I can fit the FM2 into one cargo-trouser pocket, the lens in the other and a few rolls of film too. This usually necesitates me wearing a belt or otherwise hitching my trousers up constantly due to the weight but it means I can usually bypass the "no photography" restrictions in some areas...

Most of the time, Voigtlander Bessa R and 35mm f1.7 Ultron lens, sometimes with the Nikkor-SC 5cm f1.4 LTM or my crapshoot Jupiter8 50/2 for fun. Neopan 400, 1600 or Tri-x, sometimes Fuji NPZ 800 for colour.

For my masochistic days, the Canon 10d & Canon 70-200/2.8L IS USM monster and 3Gb of CFs that scares little kids ! Even my dog !

Keep on shootin'........Wee-Ming

Street shooting calls for the Nikon D70 with a 24mm F2.8 and a 1G Lexar CF. @300 large file, fine quality jpegs. Shoot first, ask questions later, fill the card come home and delete the crap. What was the question anyway???