I want to learn - Need for a Wedding / Event Assistant?

Located in SoCal, I'm on my own doing Architectural / Real Estate

Photography. I want to get "the taste" of Wedding / Event Photography

in idea of doing this thing in the future too.

Is any experienced Photographer eager for an Apprentice?

Thanks in advance

You might try using the yellow pages before asking here. Too much hit and miss possibility on a forum. Not impossible though. Look up some wedding photogs, call them, and ask! It can't hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Dave

Apprentice my a$$. Go set up a web site. Shoot your first three weddings for free. Trust me you'll have bargain basement takers...

It sure beats Aunt Milley's digi point n' shoot!

Use those weddings as your 'portfolio'

Bada Bing your in...

That's how I did it!

Casey

PS. If your REAL and you've got the BACKUP GEAR, ABILITY, DESIRE, PERSONALITY, MOTIVATION, and RESPONSIBLITY to ensure you capture one of the most important days of a persons life...then got for it!

PPS. Do not forget...it's about ability, personality and responsibility!!!

Yeah Bill, I'm ready to shoot my first few weddings for free, no problem, but in order to do that i want to work with somebody who is doing this since ages... to know what to expect, learn few tricks, stuff like this. I know that its a huge responsability and dont want to be in the situation and ask myself... "now what"

i need to see how its happening for real and what are the pro's and con's about it. of course the experience of an experimented person who is doing this for years will help alot and do the difference.

I am the self motivated individual, no problem, but i really dont wana mess the young's couple wedding day.

I completely agree. Put together a simple web site, do a little advertising online, and offer two basic packages: $500 & $1,200. You will probably do little more than break even on the $500 package. Nevertheless, after three or four weddings will have a portfolio and look like a seasoned pro. I know some assistants who made $400 a day working for the top photographers for a couple of years. These assistants are wonderful shooters in their own right. However, while they were learning, I was charging $3,000+ to learn. To get into that market, you will need about $10,000 for marketing and bridal shows. Like Bill said, to start you need a minimum of two bodies two fast lenses (long and wide), and two speedlights - and a stroboframe.

And don't worry about messing up the wedding day - you won't. People who hire you for that amount (or free) have severely low expectations. As long as you get the bride walking down the aisle and the kiss, then everything else is a bonus for them. The people I worked for at first still thank me when I run into them. Look at other people's work (go to theKnot.com), and figure out how your favorite images were made. Practice with your wife or girlfriend. You will learn nothing assisting except how to carry the photogs equipment.

I respectfully disagree. I would encourage you to tag along paid or unpaid with a photographer in your area who you respect. Check out the websites and the images that touch you and are your taste - are the photographers you might want to contact. <p>You will learn important timing tips and understand the flow of a wedding. You will also learn that there are no hard and fast rules because every wedding is different. By watching a good wedding photographer you will learn how to wing it when necessary and be flexible and prepared for anything. You will also learn about "People Photography" vs Real Estate. There is a big difference which I can see you realize by your desire to work with someone who knows the ropes. You'll learn the tricks to bringing family groups together, relaxing your subjects, people in different lighting situations etc.. <p> Free or not - I wouldn't want to take the chance of experimenting on a couples wedding and possibly screwing up. Furthermore, your reputation could be in trouble if you shoot a few weddings that don't work out. Bad news travels fast and far. Be on the safe side is my advice. Good luck..

I think I agree with William and Rich. Since you already have photography experience, your ability to negotiate a project, probably with a friend or relative, will be the main skill you use to get your first assignment. You should purchase several books on wedding photography to learn some techniques unique to this medium. After your first wedding, set up a portfolio. This is exactly the route I took, and now I have an online portfolio (<a href="http://www.stevetout.com/photo/portfolio/">http://www.stevetout.com/photo/portfolio</a>) and have booked 3 weddings this year already.

<br><br>

Tagging along with a pro wedding photography will not increase your confidence with your equipment. You either have the basic photographic skills and processes you need, or you don't. If you don't, tagging along with a wedding photog is the wrong place to start. Learning the vision, style, practice and technique is something you can get a basic grasp of by reading several of the excellent books on wedding photography.

<br><br>

Seriously, just start taking a lot of pictures of people, work with your images in Photoshop to get the practice on the back end. If you display an energy and enthusiasm about taking pictures of people, and express an interest in shooting a wedding, there will be takers sooner or later. Just make sure you have all of the right equpment. What equipment do you have?

Michael,

I respect your approach of fine tuning your photographic experience by

assisting an established wedding photographer in your area. While many

photographers jump right into weddings without assisting, like in any area of

photography, I feel they are missing out on a valuable learning opportunity.

With weddings they are frequently an accident just waiting to happen. There

is a lot more to wedding photography than shooting the wedding.

My office is in Newport Beach and I have been shooting weddings full time for

over 15 years. If I can be of assistance please email me at

rick@rickrosen.com.

Best regards,

Rick Rosen

Michael...lots of great advice here in this thread......only wish we could use you as an assitant..But, I move way too fast at a wedding - for anyone to follow and I only carry one camera/one lense the whole day-so no carrying the bags. Check the hotel/venues nearby and contact the working pros see if you can assist >>> unfortunately they most likely will see you as competition. My wife started years ago, to try and accompany me ~~~ but I move too swiftly and she now shoots candid B&W for fun. Our market is mainly second marriages/out-of-state planning brides (so we rarely meet), with a small attendance...all the contacts are made through the hotels/venues. The average contracted time is 4 hours --so we have to produce a quality product in a very timely matter. We also provide all the negatives in our package ~~ so each image must be top notch....Good Luck out there--it has been a great 25 years for us!!

http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/index.htm

I've been following this fast-flowing thread quite closely. I'm definitely still much more in the "learning" phase as far as photography in general, but am finding wedding and event photography more and more interesting as something I might want to pursue as a secondary career.

Anyway - someone mentioned reading books on wedding photography. Any recommendations? Especially ones covering flash techniques?

thanks,

allan

I guess only you can decide if you want to assist or go by the seat of your pants. I started by assisting a very talented fast shooting photographer. I had experience shooting landscapes and tourist shots in the area. She told me the real money was in people... at least in our market in Vermont. She was so talented with people. She knew how to make them comfortable. She knew how to bring out the best in couples. She understood the feedback and enthusiasm needed to make people have fun during the shoots which resulted in great shots. She also taught me the organization needed to make things move smoothly. She shared info on proofing/albums/pricing/marketing and sales. Did I learn by carrying bags and loading film and batteries? Yes. Eventually, she let me shoot some candids and allowed me to put them in my portfolio. By the way -- she also did high end weddings so the photos in my portfolio were high end venues and couples....leading to high end work once I started on my own. I never did a VFW wedding in my entire life. <p>You might think this is unusual but in my experience it is not. I've started 3 assistants on their way to their own business. They are not competition because due to the lack of years of experience they start on a lower price level. When I get an inquiry for a couple on a budget -- I send them to my former assistants. I know other photographers in Vermont and in the DC area that also have launched a few wedding photographers from assistant positions. <p>Bottom line is that there are a few ways to do this - Freebees and a website to develop your business -- or assist and learn with less trial and error. I guess you will decide based on comfort level and long term goals..

I do think - (My opinion) that weddings are a different animal than real estate and other non-people photography.

Perhaps.. But if the market is not a very large metro area... AND if, you screw up one or two weddings -- even though you are "free"... you truly risk your reputation. It's a small world and as I said before bad news travels fast. Faster than good news...

Once you enter the market catering to "bargain basement" clients,it is there you shall stay.I would think you should ignore advice to enter a field with tools and no knowledge.Find a shooter that makes their primary income from shooting weddings and tag along.Modeling your business for failure by producing crap for non-discerning clients is a waste of time & talent.

"Check the hotel/venues nearby and contact the working pros see if you can assist >>> unfortunately they most likely will see you as competition." No one in this town would welcome someone to tag-along -not even as a friendly jester --the main 10 photographers in our town are very tight ..would not accept competition .

Allen,

Regarding your request for book recommendations, I recently visited three different branches of my local library, and found some excellent books, which have not only informed but also downright inspired me. The 3 best wedding photo books I have found so far are: The Art of Wedding Photography by Bambi Cantrell; Elegant Black & White Wedding Photography by Sara A Frances, and Wedding Photography by Jonathan Hilton. As for great general photography books, everything I have read by Brit photog John Hedgecoe is excellent, as are any of the books in the Kodak Library of Creative Photography series. BTW, all of these can also be found on eBay and Amazon, etc., if your preference is to own them.

John,

Thanks for the book recommendations. I already have a few of those on my Amazon wish list, so will get them sooner rather than later.

Opinions have gone back and forth on how to best actually get an assistant-ship. Should I just contact some photographers in the area? Should I contact venues? I'm in the SF bay area, if that matters. I am becoming more and more interested in trying this arena out.

thanks,

allan

Michael,

I just started wedding photography. I read some books, and did my first 2 weddings for free. The third wedding I charged, but still cheep. I asked a photographer if I could tag along and "assist" whatever he needed, and he blew me off, so I was scared to ask anyone else. Then a job just fell in my lap. A friend told me of a photographer who was looking to sub contract some assistants. I applied and got the job. Since he hired 5 of us, he held a couple training sessions for us. I learned so much in just the training sessions! I have my first wedding with him in 2 weeks, and I can't wait. I think the assistant is the way to go. Yea, my first 3 weddings turned out ok, but I expect I will learn so much more from assisting. I can still take on my own weddings, but I am learning, and GETTING PAID FOR IT in the meantime. I would recommend calling and or sending out letters to all the photographers in the area. As for style, I think you can learn from any one with experience, then choose what style works for you! Best of luck!

To find an assistant job, first tell everyone you know that you're

looking for an assistant job with a good wedding photographer.

Next, put up a few of your cards at local pro labs that have

bulletin boards. Finally, search the web and the yellow pages for

wedding photographers in your area, and send them a resume

or letter offering your services.

[That covers the ways in which I have found an assistant job or

other have found a job with me.]