Cost of 10,000 prints from CD's in Portland, OR

I'll be returning to Portland, OR from traveling SE Asia and India,

and have a question re: getting prints from CD's. During my travels

I had film processed and scanned to CD (via Fuji Frontiers), but did

not get any prints -- index prints only.

At home, I'd like to generate 4x6 prints from the CD's for cataloging

purposes (quality doesn't have to be perfect -- I'm saving that for

enlargements ;)

I have probably 10K frames -- what is the best way to get prints made

that will not cost an arm and a leg? Even at $.10 a print, it's

$1000 -- is there a better way? Home printing? (can't imagine that

would be any cheaper with the cost of a decent printer, paper and

ink).

Thanks for your help,

Keith

Keith,

Have you talked to Fuji directly about this? For such a large quantity, I'm sure they have options (financial and/or logistical) other than your local Frontier lab. Ten thousand prints is going to make a HUGE stack!

Be sure to post back your solution, 'cause one of us may end up in a similar situation (I'm planning a 6+ month trip to Europe right now...).

BJ

It certainly won't be any cheaper doing it on a decent home printer. I did a calculation for myself a few months ago, and found that the cost of ink alone is more than the cost of sending the file out to have a print made by someone else. Then there's the cost of the photo-inkjet paper, the cost of the printer, and your time and labor. (Your time is worth *something*, even if you're not getting paid...)

Now if only there was a lab with a Fuji Frontier I could zip by on the way home from work... even better, I wish I could upload the files to the lab in the evening, and pick them up in person the next day after work. I'm imagining / hoping in a few years this will be true.

• 3 weeks later...
Sams club here develops 35mm film; and makes 4x6 glossies; for 2.58 for a 24 exp roll. This is about 11 cents per print; with processing for free. My own in house color copier can be cheaper; if I take my digital images; and nest as many as possible on an 11x17 sheet; and print the sheet as one image. Here My cost is less than way less than 10 cents; but the nesting; and trimming time is also not free. For me it is vastly cheaper to use film and conventional labs; and throw out the duds.....<BR><BR>Dont pressure the printer to get the job done. All printers have slack time; and overcapacity sometimes. Shop around for pricing; allowing them 2 weeks to print them.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith,

Kelly is right: Shop around and find a commercial lab that can run them in the off hours... But don't expect miracles. 10k 4x6 prints is 1667 square feet -- And that's WITHOUT margins, or file numbers printed on them.

Let's see: For the $160,000 Durst Epsilon I work on, that's FOUR whole 165 foot by 30 inch rolls... At $140 per roll, or $560. That's not including chemistry, labor, wear & tear, shipping about 80-100 lbs, or anything else.

Hmmm, after crunching the numbers, the paper alone is 5-1/2 cents per shot... That 10 cent price is actually VERY GOOD.

If you cut the square footage down by using slightly smaller prints, then the price will drop. For example, 3 x 4.5 inch prints will cut the job size almost in half, from 1667 to 940 square feet; significantly cutting the cost.

Cheers!

Dan