Hey all...i've been shooting a lot of neo 1600 the last week and am

trying to fine tune it....i develop using d76 1:1...my first batch

seemed really contrasty...blocked highlights...i redecued the time and

changed my agitation and am getting better negs...however, I find that

when I print, I still have to use low grades like #2 and even #1

filters to get any middle tones....is this just the nature of the

film? thanks

russ

Neopan isn't really a true 1600 film--more like 800 or 640--and as a result yeah, the tones get compressed and you tend to need low grades. I haven't shot TMZ or Delta 3200 a lot, but I think the problem is similar there. You can shoot it at 800 and not have these problems, of course.

You might try Microphen. I haven't tested it on my trial rolls of Neopan 1600 but based on my previous experience with this developer on contrasty films or films exposed under contrasty conditions, Microphen may help.

I use it both for push processing TMY, normal processing of Delta 3200 and normal processing of TMX and it does a very good job of controlling highlights while retaining midtone gradation.

One trick is to keep agitation to a safe minimum - no more than three agitations every minute. For some conditions I'll agitate only every three minutes.

I have been shooting Neopan at 1600 and developing in XTOL 1:1 (68 degrees for 7 1/2

minutes) and have been extremely happy with the results. No blocked highlights, scans

and prints very well. I agitate 2 gentle inversions and turns every 30 seconds. How much

are you agitating?