Should I worry about the rangefinder vertical alignment?

brambor

When I focus the M6 and align the rangefinder horizontally I could tell that the image is a little off vertically. The image that moves in to alignment is a fraction lower than the constant viewfinder image. I have not seen any focus problems in the few pictures I have taken so far.

if its inaccurate in one dimension.... its also very likeley that its innaccurate in the other...

so yes you should have it fixed if you really want the accuracy.

but if you don't notice anything wrong..why fix it?

(you should do a focussing test by focusing on a receding ruler)

If you only see a "misalignment" when focusing on infinity, don't worry. If the misalignment is constant... test the results by shooting very precisely delineated objects (say a brick wall) at different distances.

My M6TTL shows misalignment but only in the infinity setting. I've shot at all distances and there's nothing wrong with it. Let's hope that's your case.

Hmm. Not sure I agree with the "don't worry" crowd.

At least on the screw-mount Leica's, the vertical alignment definitely interacts with the horizontal (rangefinding) alignment. You're rotating a wedge prism in front of the RF window. You have to readjust the infinity setting after fixing the vertical alignment.

Looking at Tomosy's book, I can't really say if this same interaction exists on the M-series rangefinder, which is dramatically different in design. But it seems likely.

Set the lens at infinity, and look at the moon through the RF. If it doesn't align horizontally, it's time for a trip to the shop.

John Collier suggested awhile back that a solid whack, with the heel of the hand, on the top or bottom of the M could put the vertical alignment back in place. Search on his posts for the exact quote; I can't find it at the moment. Lots cheaper that a trip to the shop, and no special tools required.

my m7 developed this a few weeks ago and is sitting in new jersey tonight for a realignment. the vertical misalignment was minor, but to my eye it was maddening trying to focus, as nothing ever looked in focus, since there was always two slightly overlapping images.

the most the body received was a "slight whack" as i really don't remember anything happening which attracted my attention.

on the other hand my m6 was dropped onto a tile floor and hit hard enough to dent the base plate and body shell at the base plate release cam enough that the film could not be extracted, and the rangefinder was unaffected.

go figure.

Are you curious about the use of the small screw head between the small and the mid window on the leica M's. The is the cover of the vertical alignment screw underneath. It is a matter of minutes to get the vertical alignment right. No need to go to any shop and spend a cents.