need film sugg - 35mm, bw,400+iso, low grain

For fine grain, anything will do provided that you soup it the right way... as well as

chromogenics. Fine grain has nothing to do with the fact that you scan it, it all depends

upon how you scan it and what you plan to do with the resulting file.

I second the suggestion for the Kodak 400 TCN. I'm not sure if that exists any more -- or maybe it exists . In lieu of that, you should try a roll of the "Kodak B&W" (or whatever it's called) that they sell in any Wal-Mart or drug store. It's a C-41 (color) process film, but will give monochrome negs and prints. I have found both 400TCN and Kodak B&W to be insanely fine grained. You might have been looking more for a "traditional" black and white film, but these chromogenic films cannot be matched for grain at that speed, AND they will scan beautifully (versus traditional b&w which is more finicky to scan).

Let me be the maverick here -- if you can develop for yourself, try Plus-X in Diafine. Much less grain than an ISO 400 film in conventional developers, and EI 400 without a bunch of fuss or a "pushed" look. For that matter, if you can accept a little grain (not too bad) consider Tri-X in Diafine at EI 1600.