from dslr to used bronica or new Kieve

ruvy

I am new to the medium format on my way there from digital slr (D30).

This post is about how things feel and not about features.

I Have read a lot of past postings and reviews here and other places and

for the 6X6 format that attracts me most there are really only two real

slr's that makes also economic sens. Kieve 88 and bronica sq series. It

seems that the price advantage, availability of lenses, range of lenses

(focal point) etc. are in favor of the Kiev yet, from mechanical point of

view, reliability and usage of flash and resale value the advantage goes to

Bronica. (any correction to the statments above will be most

appreciated).

All these issues I should be able to sort out somehow by myself in view

of my photographic objectives but there is a question I can't and this is

the feel of those cameras. Where I live there are no rentals of

photographic gear of this sort so I have to ask it here.

This post is directed to people who used both the Kiev and the Bronica

(at home, studio in camera stor or outdoor) asking how each feels in

your hands, how well it function relatively to each other, what made you

change your mind one way or another etc. all will be very helpful in my

procesece from digital to mf.

Thank you much

Ruvy

Run like the wind in the opposite direction of Kiev. And definitely don't ever buy from Saul Kaminsky/Kiev USA. They sent me a load of defective crap and then had the gall to deduct a huge "restocking fee" when I sent it back to them, at my expense, overnight delivery, the same day it arrived (in non-working condition). Even threats to sue them just got laughed at. A very unethical, crooked outfit.

Well, I have never used the Kiev cameras, but I do have an SQ-Ai. I find it easy to use( once I got used to where all the functions are, after coming to it from an automatic 35mm SLR). The shutter release is in a ideal spot when you are using a waist level finder, but a bit awkward when using a prism finder.

I have a kiev 60 (for use with a 30mm arsat lens) that still works, but I cringe every time I cock the shutter. I agree with jay to stay away from kiev. Its a crap shoot at best, and if I could do it over again I would just not buy it. In todays used market place you can have quality gear at low prices. I would say to look at getting some used hassy gear and don't waste your time with junk. In the end you are going to spend more money on junk than with a good hassy. I just sold a mamiya c330 with an 80mm, very very good condition, to someone on ebay for 289 bucks. They got a deal and a camera that is fully functional and is built to last.

My first medium format camera was a Kiev 88 purchased from Kiev USA. I found the shutter realease not to be very smooth & I usually had to mount it on a tripod & release with a cable to get unblurred photos when using a shutter speed slower than 1/125. The shutter release was about as smooth as a stick-shift on a 1981 Dodge Omni & there were lots of mirror vibrations. However, I was stunned at the sharpness of the photos (at least the ones that came out unblurred). I sold the camera within 6 months and was quite happy to get rid of that thing. My next medium format camera was a Mamiya M645 1000s & I have to say that I think the standard Kiev lens was sharper than my Mamiya 80mm C lens. On the other hand, I could safely handhold my Mamiya at shutter speeds down to 1/30th of a second without any problem & get sharp results. I currently have a Bronica SQ-Ai, among other medium format cameras & feel that you would be quite happy with the Bronica. If you are looking for a leaf-shuttered 6x6 SLR, there is probably no better value in the used market. A used Hasselblad 500 is about the same price, but you are dealing with 30-50 year old equipment compared to much newer equipment in the Bronica. Bronica never really caught on in the states the way it did in the U.K., but don't let that discourage you from buying a Bronica. Granted, the overall feel and fit & finish are nowhere near the levels of my Rollei 6008 Integral or Contax 645, but it gets the job done. When comparing them to cars, I feel like my Rollei 6008i is a BMW 5-series, whereas my Bronica SQ-Ai is a Mitsubishi Gallant. My Kiev 88 was a Dodge Omni (and about as reliable).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering my first MF purchase also, and the Bronica SQ-ai is very attractive to me. I have read nothing but good things about this system. The used prices are very reasonable right now. So much so that I have not considered a Kiev at all.

You have another option: Buy an used Hassy or Mamiya outfit w/o the lens and get the lens from Kiev Camera (not Kiev-Usa), they sell Arsat lenses with mounts for Hassys a, Mamiyas and other camras. These lenses are quite sharp, inexpensive and good quality.

I'll chime in a vote for avoiding the Kievs too. I considered them, but with used prices where they are it makes no sense to waste time and money on a new Kiev. The Kiev 88 in particular. The Kiev 60 was a possibility, but I wanted interchangeable backs.

Regarding Bronica, I have an ETRSi system and like it a lot. Very easy to use. I chose 645 over 6x6 because I wanted something smaller, lighter, less mirror slap, and a 40mm lens I could afford to put a filter on. If I were going for a 6x6 rig I would have no issues with a Bronica SQ a Hasselblad system.

Re-worked Kievs from Arax are VERY nice cameras--vastly better than stock

models. I'm delighted with my Arax 60MLU. I bought it as a backup for my

Pentacon Six TL, but it's a MUCH nicer camera than the Pentacon (which, in

turn, IMO is far better than a STOCK Kiev). FWIW, my Arax seems every bit as

smooth and solid as the well-maintained (and recently CLAed) Rolleiflex 2.8E

that I've been using for over 40 years. (And, IMO, their's NOTHING better than

my Rollei!).

I've read good things ,on the Kiev Report, about Arax's re-worked Kiev 88s as

well, but I have no direct experience with these. The 60 is a simpler design

which may be more reliable. That's what I'd recommend unless you really

need interchangable magazines. FWIW, my Arax is quite easy and quick to

reload(for a MF camera)--almost as easy as my Rolleiflex and MUCH easier

than my Pentacon Six (which , in particular, is a real PITA to UNload).

BTW, my Arax 60 is a MLU/SE model , although in black leather rather than

the flashy version in their illustration in the URL below:

http://araxfoto.com/specials/arax-60mlu-se/

I am new here and not ure if it is custom to thank but you advices are much appreciated. I have ruled out the Kieve (even though the shift tilt lens is very very attractive for me) and probably will go with the Bronica. I have considered also the Rollei 6006 but there is no service for them here so this one was ruled out too

thanks again

Ruvy