HP5+ exposed at 250 and it turned out grossly underdeveloped,

extremely thin and with very low contrast (unprintable with a

condenser enlarger). I followed the enclosed instructions faithfully

and used distilled water. I noticed that Solution A had a very slight

yellow tint. Is that normal? Should Solution A be as clear as B? The

instructions indicate that a "yellow tint" indicates that solution A

has oxidized.

Both bottles had just been opened and were bought a week before. They

were stored in a cool basement at around 55-60 degrees.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Let me get this right.

1. You say the "instructions indicate that a 'yellow tint' indicates that solution A has oxidized."

2. You are asking if a slight yellow tint in solution A is normal.

Didn't you answer your own question?

Just because it was purchased recently does not mean that it was manufactured recently.

Paterson says the same thing about FX-39, yet I've used it four months after opening

the bottle, when it's had a distinctly yellow tint and gotten fine results on 35mm TMX,

TMY and FP4. But I believe there have been posts about problems similar to what you

experienced with FX-50. What dilution did you use?

Thank you for your answers and suggestions.

Mark: you are right, my question regarding the color of the developer was not clear. What I meant was the following: there is a very slight yellow tint to the part A solution, it is not completely colorless. Is that the yellow tint of an oxidized developer or is it a deeper yellow?

Spyros,

I experienced the same problem that you mention here about a year ago. I spoke with company representatives both in the USA and the UK concerning the very low contrast/underdevelopment I experienced. At the time, no such problem had been reported in the UK, but my concerns were nevertheless brought to the attention of the developer's fomulator, Jeffrey Crawley. Some other Internet posters in the US had similar underdevelopment problems at that time.

More recently, at the NYC Photograhy Expo in late October of 2003, I inquired about the problem again. The Paterson representative said that the problem had been verified and that a bum batch of FX-50 had made it into distribution. Current stocks of the product should be OK.

Let us know how you make out with it. (Sorry, that didn't sound right.) I got okay results but mine also went sour (orange Solution A) within a few weeks and the developer was also very expensive. If you have the inclination to mix your own developers, you can make up Patrick Gainer's Vitamin C developer with just a few ingredients, and the propylene glycol stock solution shelf life is fantastic.

• 11 months later...

I just "developed" a roll of Tri-X in FX-50. Part A was slightly yellow in the bottle. I had heard of this problem, but the yellow color was slight and I figured..."what the heck."

Nearly every frame turned out clear, only the slightest hint that there was an image there at all.

BTW:

- Tri-X in Paterson FX-50 for 11 minutes @ 68F

- stop bath

- Kodak Fixer for 5 mins

- Agitated four inversions once per minute.