WD2D+ : developer bath after fixer?

doug_bennett

I've been using WD2D+ occasionally for a while now, with good

results, but am still trying to optimize my process.

In Photographer's Formulary tech info for PMK, it recommends a 2

minute bath in the developer <em>after</em> fixing is complete. I

assume that this is to further enhance stain formation. Has anyone

tried this with WD2D+? If not, I'll try it and report back.

One problem may arise from the pyro afterbath, as it does with PMK. Using depleted pyro after fixing can indeed increase stain, but it is in general stain, not image stain. This results in a net decrease in contrast, especially in areas of fine gradations, to the point where a fogginess in the final image is present.

I have stopped using this approach with PMK and now develop without the afterbath. After stopping this practice, I did notice a firming of shadow values and better separation as was suggested to me by others.

Try taking identical exposures and give it a try, as I have never used the WD2D+ formula. It may help, but only a few tries will tell you what is really happening.

If you read the instructions from John, you will notice he explains why a post bath is not needed. He has put together one of the best documents for using the developer he formulated. It seems though, not many people read it. I have not seen the need for additional stain on my 120 and 4x5 negatives. I have not been all that impressed by the 35mm film and that usually get souped in Rodinal or FX-39.

tim in san jose