graflex filmpack adaptor). Obviously long expired (but kept frozen),

my source claims that this old emulsion is very silver heavy for

greater exposure & development latitude. I shot 6 films last night,

opened the pack in my changing bag, transfered the film to a film

box and then, after getting the pack reclosed, I removed the paper

backs, got the film into a Doran daylight tank and processed with PMK

for 16 minutes at 70 degrees (based on the PMK recommendation of Tri-

X (EI 260 for 14 minutes: I add two minutes for my faster EI of

320) , 2 minutes stop bath (running tap water at about 75 degrees)

then 6 minutes in TF4, then restained in the used Pyro for 2 minutes

then washed for about 20 minutes. I got a decent neg, but I found it

a bit thin. Assuming that the expired film is okay, should I shoot my

next batch at 260 (or maybe even 200) to over expose? SHould I

process for more time? Any suggestions?

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey. You say you found it a bit thin; where was it thin? Did you have detail in your shadows? If so, you should extend your development to build contrast in the highlights. If your shadows were thin and without detail, then you should derate your film speed and extend your development. By the way, Gordon Hutchings no longer recommends restaining in used developer as it adds general stain, which acts just like fog, and will reduce the contrast of the negative in the same way. So, check your shadow densities before you derate your film speed further, as overexposure reduces contrast, and try extending your development by about 20%/zone of contrast increase, and consider eliminating the restaining step. Good luck.

Hi all:

I had much better negs this time - though some were still not as dense as I would've liked. This is my first experience with unloading old film packs and using a 4x5 tank. I may have let some light leak into the pack, thus the last few images are more dense than the first few (I'd already shot some films, unloaded and resealed the pack to reshoot the remaining films)- assuming that the film near the beginning would be effected more so than those films near the end. I shot at 250 asa and developed in Pyro for 16 mins at 70 degrees, 2 minute stop, 7 minutes fix, 30 min bath - no restain as per Jay, and let dry in the overturned tank (the film is kept in place by a restraining bar that fits across the top) for about an hour before transferring to a hanger.<div>008o3j-18719284.jpg.cc37fa9e7736358b2bf9799ac990500d.jpg</div>