Books: New Orleans cemetries

This is for the Books forum, rather, but seems like that forum is not

much read.. I am thinking of making myself a present - a couple of

photographic books on the New Orleans cemeteries. I understand

Clarence John Laughlin would be the central figure here, but perhaps

some others also.. Well, and if someone remembers fine art

photography books dealing with OTHER cemeteries (not NO), please..

I'd really appreciate it..

Thank you for you recommendations.

Sergei

An AUTHOR of cemetary books is John Francis Marion, who wrote a definitive book about cenetaries of the world. He concentrated on the "monumental" and "garden" styles of cemetaries that were first developed during the Victorian age. These were typically commercial ventures, which were a departure from the typical church-related graveyards. People used to make a day of it, since travel time was significant, and stoll, picnic, etc. Death was a more commonly accepted part of life in those days. in some cases, a person's burial site spoke volumns about his or her life.

If you want more graves that you need to know about, visit Find-a-Grave on the web.<div>0073sW-16125084.thumb.jpg.78c05d27da2dce06f88e2c2f5c73c74e.jpg</div>

like jeff said Laughlin does not appear to be strictly cemeteries, and all his books are out of print. But, myself and another photo netter got copies thru Amazon of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0821223615/qid=1074093773/sr=12-5/103-7334944-0479051?v=glance&s=books">The Haunter of Ruins</a> just before the holidays. Its not new books, but Amazons 3rd party used book services....i personally have used the abebooks one a couple times, and they delievery a quality product. But read the fine print on used dealers thru amazon....amazon dont help you if there is a mistake later....so, likei said, abebooks has done me justice....when they say..."like new" they really mean it...some are so new looking that all i can see "old" about them is that the spline shows that it was opened at least once...the rest is spotless.....but you are on your own. Again, more than just cemeteries...........but good stuff, none the less

Here's a link to the book by Robert Florence: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965708519/ref=pd_sim_books_1/104-5246093-0927924?v=glance&s=books"> Robert Florence/New Orleans Cemeteries: Life in the Cities of the Dead</a>.<br> David Robinson has also done a few books of photographs of funerary sculpture, but I'm not sure if they only deal with European cemeteries, or if they're still in print. One is "Saving Graces," another is called "Beautiful Death."