Curious: I have posted my images on many forums and photo sites. And

they all look so different. Everytime I post on PN my images lose

something - actually a lot - compared to other sites. My images lack

snap, the blacks block up, and colors look muted. Is this site run

with a Mac? Is additional compression going on? I wonder how I can

cure this problem and if others have it. Very frustrating to see my

images lose so much vibrancy. I do operate in Adobe RGB 1998

but "save for web" using PC CS.

<p>Surely image files are re-compressed by the server: I always upload files which are generally around 500kb but once theiy are on PN in their larger size are around 100kb! This actualy means that some sort of re-compression and/or reinterpolation on jpgs is done. </p>

<p>Anyway... if u use the Adobe 1998 RGB this workspace has colours which are generally more desaturated respect the RBBs workspace.</p><p>Hope this helps.

</p>

I fully understand the difference between the two gamuts. I wonder why this doesn't happen on other sites? The working file, although in RGB1998, apparently is not being converted to sRGB when "save for web" by Photoshop. I think I will try a little experiment and upload variations. Puzzled how YOU can send a 500 meg file. I thought PN rejected any file larger than 100 megs - it sure has with me - even at say 110 megs.

Steve, you need to convert to sRGB before Saving for Web in CS. Then make sure you select "Use Document Color Profile" during the Web saving. My working colorspace is Ektaspace and this procedure helps me a lot, but the PhotoNet Compression Monster still is hungry. Regards.

Walter is correct. In PS you must Convert to sRGB and make sure the sRGB profile has

been Assigned to the image before Save for Web. That is SOP for the Web. Save at

JPEG Maximum, Quality 100, and check ICC Profile and Optimized.<p>

I suggest that your largest dimension be 800 pixels. The PN downsampling really

loses image quality. Unless viewed Large on this site, you or viewers, will not see the

qulaity you see before sending the file.<p>

VL

Neverending story.

Idea of my "sunset upload must have originated in recompression reality of PN. Yesterday I posted an image that is slightly soft, nothing special, just a big splash of water one can compare at different compression settings visiting my folder http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_id=1481&msg_id=008YcB&photo_id=2447688&photo_sel_index=0...

There is much more in this thread: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008Hip.....Regards,

• 1 month later...
Always convert to sRGB in photoshop AFTER you are finished with your picture. Then resize to under 800 pix. 650 is good. You dont have to change dpi, this has no effect at a screen. I have found that this is the moment to sharpen. Then save as a jpeg. Its importent to uncheck save with embedded sRGB file. You shall have a picture who not exids 100k. I do NOT like save to web in photoshop. Perhaps I am a mummy but I do not like the results from this one. Then photonet resize to but if you do as I do you will end up whith somesthing similar to what you have created. Reds are alvays a problem and even outher color can be a little desaturated. If you are not happy just give the picture a little extra hue.