Please give me your critique

The flash pointed directly at the subject produces lighting which is too harsh for a child's portrait. Bounce the flash off the ceiling or side wall, and possibly have a white card or white wall to fill in the shadows. I rigged up a Vivitar 283 flash, white wall and white card to get something roughly approximating studio lighting for this portrait.<div>008L5U-18106484.jpg.31f58525c064b8283535ef4e5da9a028.jpg</div>

Khiem:

<p>

In addition to the comments I made on your other thread, I'd add that I'm glad you told us this was a happy smile face. The expression looks a bit weird. Almost as if he's smelling bad cheese. :)

<p>

If you're going for the standard huge smile effect, I'd look for more teeth and less tongue.

<p>

--<br>

Eric<br>

<a href="http://canid.com/">http://canid.com/</a><br>

Again, you need to kill the flash, Khiem. It is much too harsh. Be aware of the light. If it's dark, either use faster film or find someplace with more light, but be conscious of the direction of the light & shadows on the face.

I don't know if any one mentioned this before but you should consider losing your flash. Oh, wait a minute ...

You have a 90mm 'cron, use it wide open !!!!

God made Leica for ambient light photography. I agree with another poster on your other thread ... leave flash for birthday parties and weddings ...

btw, lighting technique aside, your composition is not bad at all and you have two beautiful subjects.

Cheers !

sorry.. I wouldn't get my big break without the photo now would I?

Maybe Salgado will be adding his critique to this forum (I hear that he spends

an awful lot of time here hoping to pick up ideas like lighting for musicians)

and spot it and beg me to be his partner!<div>008MKf-18133584.jpg.3d145961792ea35aa6adb206b82255b6.jpg</div>