Gossen Super Pilot Light Meter

tim_dunn2

A friend is offering to sell me a Gossen Super Pilot light meter, but

he knows little about it. Does anyone know the EV range at 100 ISO?

I''m doing some low-light photography with a Rolleiflex MX and need

something

which can meter effectively.

Thanks,

Tim

The Super Pilot was a long ago discontinued meter using a CdS cell. If you're wanting a low-light meter, get something modern with an SBC cell. Considering you can get a brand new Sekonic L208 for under $100 and any number of great meters for under $200 (Sekonic L308, Gossen Lunapro Digital, Polaris to name three)I'd pass on the Super Pilot.

CDS cells read in low light, but very slowly. They also have 'memory' that sometimes causes them to read low light even more slowly if you first read bright light and then dim. And then there's problems finding mercury batteries or adapters....buy a new, modern meter.

Above posts are good suggestions too. A new, modern Gossen or Sekonic meter is a good choice. . . . but . . .

The Super Pilot is dated technology, but priced right and in good working order, it should be adequate for your needs. Luna Pro and more modern models of the Luna Pro, Luna Star etc. are better in low-light. Gossen meters are quality instruments and readily available at dealers and on eBay. Bogen Imaging has usually supported them well and can fill in the gaps of info. Batteries for older Gossens are now relegated to the Wein zinc-air types (work well!) or you can get a kit for about $30 to change to modern batteries (avail at many dealers or B&H). You can determine your features and needs and compare the limitations above.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

Tim didn't mention whether or not this is the SBC version of the Super Pilot. Mine was $72 in Oct 81, from Frank's Highland Park Camera in LA. Earlier, I had a regular Super Pilot, $40 from Tall's Camera in Seattle, July 1966.

The SBC Super Pilot is a real gem, in my opinion; handy size, easy use, sensitive and accurate. Plus, it does NOT need any special battery adaptation, remaining accurate whilst accomodating voltage variations (this may not be true for the older Super Pilot). I use modern silver cells in mine. This is a quality piece of gear, and I continue to use it frequently.

As to sensitivity, the rotating dial stops at a position corresponding to 1 min at f/2.4, ISO 100, though the meter needle responds to changes in light below that. The meter doesn't display EV.

The Super-pilot, also known as the Sixtino in Europe, is a very nice little meter for general purposes but not the one to choose for low light work. I had one for a while and it struggled a bit under normal indoor illumination. For low light work, assuming you don't want a digital meter, the unchallenged king is the Sixtino's big brother the Profisix; also known as the Luna-Pro SBC in the U.S.

You'll need a big pocket to carry it but I can't think of another analog meter that comes close for low-light performance plus, you can turn it into almost any type of meter you can think of with the right accessories. The older model, the Lunasix, can be had quite cheaply and while not quite as versatile is also an excellent performer.

• Like 1

• 18 years later...