Longevity of B&W Film Stored in Freezer

How long can unexposed slow to 400 speed B&W film be kept frozen

without losing

speed or fogging? Is there an ideal temperature for freezing film?

It's been suggested that a frost-free freezer is less than ideal

because of the frezzing-thawing cycle. Any truth to this? Comments

from experience?

shel

The periodic heating of the coils to defrost a frost-free freezer does not raise the temperature of items in the freezer enough to make any difference (probably just a few degrees if at all). It does not thaw the freezer compartment, just the coils. Most freezers are about 0 degrees F, which is fine.

The film will eventually be exposed by atmospheric background radiation, but that will not be noticeable for quite a while. But it does depend on the speed of the film. How long do you thing you need to store it before use?

I currently use Kodak Tri-X-Professional (TXP) 320ASA films. The films have expired in 1997 but the previous owner claims to have kept them in a freezer. The semi-pro photographer who bought this large box of films and gave some of them to me said that they look like new - no fogging, no loss of speed. I am not so critical about b/w films but I could not find any flaws with the TXP rolls I used.

Whoever suggested to you that a frost free freezer would be a problem was clearly not thinking. Do the other contents of the freezer thaw out? I think not. Why would film be any different?

High speed films don't do very well when stored for long periods of time, even if frozen. However, I've used some Plus-X and Tri-X that had been either frozen or kept refrigerated to up to 5 years past expiration and it was just fine.