Getting a new g5 1.8 v's 2.0 ghz

Hi i am getting ready to get a mac g5 as my imac g4 is startting to struggle with large

file sizes and i find the 15" monitor too small. I want to know if it is worth paying for

the 2.0ghz over the 1.8ghz and using the saved cash to put in extra ram (i will be

putting 2g of ram at least to start with) ?. will the 2.0 ever be noticibly quicker than

1.8. thanks in advance -Joe

As Rob at www.barefeats.com said, the price advantage of the 1.8 is 17%, but also is the

speed disadvantage 17%. So it's a wash, right?

No! Because for the rest of the time you own it, each time you use it, the speed advantage

(read:time savings) of the 2.0 will be 17%. Multiply that by how many times this effect

comes into play over the life of the machine. That can add up into real time, which equals

real money.

Disclaimer: of course, if you're not taxing the processors 100% at least some of the time

you're doing work, this calculation is useless. It's really a valueable calculation for video

editors who let their machines sit and crunch video for hours at a time, and on the

opposite end of the scale it's not valueable at all, for say web surfers.

I have the dual 1.8GHz and was toying with the same debate initially. Ignoring specs, I had tried a number of PS filters, etc on 16-bit, 130MB images before buying and, in a non-scientific way - I noticed no appreciable difference in speed between the two machines (...it was PS7).

Additionally, by the time I put 2 x 250GB drives in and and extra 2GB of RAM - and with the monitor - the saving over the 2GHz machine was becoming a blessing.

regards

Craig / Beijing

Apple always annouces something at these annual conferences. We'll defninitely see a

preview of the new upcoming version of the OS, as well as some new hardware. Buy

now only if you can't wait a few weeks.