New film SLR from Nikon? Popphoto rumour

jemini_joseph

It seems digital is growing so fast in US. I'm not sure about other

countries. Anyway film still has a market. Nikon's new scanners are

another proof. <br>

<a href="http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?

article_id=766&section_id=5&page_number=9" target="w-2"> NO, FILM

AIN�T DEAD </a><br><br><a href="http://www.color-pictures.com"

target="w-2">Color-pictures.com</a>

I refuse to purchase or even read any article from a magazine that refuses to deal a majority of those unscrupulous sellers of cameras that seem to hail mostly from NYC. Honestly, the horror stories I see on vendor feedback forums are usually 99% of the advertising space filled by this magazine. And obviously, this magazine cares nothing for its readers by never removing or refusing to stop running false and/or deceptive advertising. Besides, is there anything piece of new equipment reviewed by this piece of work that they DIDN'T like?

Film ain't dead but I'm not going to believe anything coming from those guys.

Armando,

And I refuse to take seriously anyone who makes such blanket statements. There are

bad faith retailers everywhere. There are also plenty of greedy suckers who like to

piss

and moan in public when the "great deal" they found turns out not to be such a great

deal after all.

I buy very little gear from mail order houses. And when I do it is from large , wel

lestablished dealers: Calumet and B&H, and sometimes Adorama. If someone is

offering prices significantly below thoe store's prices for official USA gear I'll pass.

"Buyer be wary" is still the best advice anyone can follow.

As for Pop Photo, their editorial credibility is very high and they consistently seem to

be less effected by advertiser influence than some other photography magazines.

Pop Photo has turned in to a joke in recent years IMO, the articles are hot air, the reviews list features but rarely break down the actual abilities of a camera and in many reviews they don't say too much negative about a product.

That and half the mag is ads, some of which are the iffy retailers.

I tend to agree with Carl. Flash back a bit and return to Aug 2002 :

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003bWM

The back focus issue of the Hexar RF was a hot topic when Pop Photo just "popped" in

with some less than scientific tests. May I quote a few lines from them :

>>>, 50mm Summicron at f/2 and 8 feet from the target resolved 57 lp/mm on a

Bessa T and a Leica M7 but only 22 lp/mm on the Hexar.<<<

>>>The back focus distance between the mount and the film plane was the cause.

The Hexar was 28.7mm, the Bessa was 27.01mm and the M series Leica was 27.6mm.

One silly mm or so was enough to mess up the resolution at f/2. Probably worse at f/

1.4.<<<

... and to quote a post from another forum :

>>> "one silly" mm or so was enough to mess up" everything to beyond recognition,

not just messing up resolution between 57 lppm and 22 lppm, never mind f/2 or f/

1.4. Just pick up any SLR, shift "one silly mm" after focusing and check with your

viewfinder <<<

I believe Jay would be more than happy to refresh this. What I want to say is, since

this article came out, I put less weight on this magazine.

Did you see the review in Pop Photo for the Nikon D2H? It was so short! The review on the F3 back in 1979 or so was huge. I think they are getting lazy. Theyare pretty much shills for the manufacturers anyway, one reason I like the British magazines who say "Do not buy blah blah blah it is junk." :>