moderator note: pics submitted NOT for critique and/or rating - What is trhis about???

bernhard

I found the following beneath a some pics:

<br><br>

<I><B>Moderator's Note</B><br><br>

The photographer has not submitted this photograph for critique and/or

rating. It is here for exhibition purposes. Accordingly, please

consider this comments thread to be akin to a guestbook; that is, a

place for any encouraging or positive comments that you care to

offer.</I> <br><br>

What is this about? A new feature? How do you get this status? Is this

for an entir portfolio or just for some pics? What if I still rate and

comment (without knowing this status, for example in the rate rrecent

uploads queue)? Do photonetters whith this status still have the right

to rate and comment?

<br><br>

Any information highly appreciated !!!

I don't think this feature is working the way it was intended to.

<p>I haven't posted many images recently so I guess I missed something. I recall that in the past, though, that when you posted a photo, there was an option to not have it subject to rating. However, I intentionally never took this option, and so my images were "ratable", and most of them drew at least some ratings. Which was fine with me. Like most people who post here, I <b>wanted</b> ratings.

<p>However, I now find that, with the exception of images that I expressly posted critique requests for at the "Critique Requests" forum, <b>all</b> of my images now carry this disclaimer that the photographer did not post them "for critique and/or rating".

<p>That disclaimer is not accurate. While I did not expressly post <b>critique requests</b> for many of my images, I did <b>not</b> elect to have them not be <b>ratable</b>. That is obvious from the fact that many of them have some ratings. I don't like having my images carry this suggestion to the contrary. I <b>did</b> post my images with the intention that they would be subject to rating.

I agree with Dave... I don't like this particular feature at all. Personally, whether I actually submit a pic for critique or not, I WANT IT Critiqued by people passing by. I don't want an image to turn into "guestbook" full of useless [(and now it seems) encouraged] comments such as "nice job" or "I like it". I would much rather receive constructive criticism than pats on the back, and I assume many other people on PN [a site that I thought was dedicated to improving us all as photographers, not as worshipers] would agree. Just my 2 cents.

I like the basic concept. Many photo.netters have wanted to opt out of the ratings game so a comments-only option is a good idea.

But the language of the moderator's statement as it now read would likely produce only feeble feedback. I appreciate it when someone takes the trouble to suggest a different cropping, etc., for one of my photos, even if I disagree. Yet the statement as it now reads might reinforce the sense of paranoia some photographers experience when anything less than fawning praise is offered.

Don't get me wrong tho' - it's a good concept and should prove very well appreciated by many folks.

... hiding the link between the identity and the rate level, while keeping visible the name of the person who visited, has the immmense advantage to attract you to the portfolio of the rater, at least a person who spend time (short or not), without any anger or too favourable opinion that could affect seriously and quite naturally your judgment and eventually your back rating...<p> so Brian, you set is definitely a great tool to both limit the revenge but also the mate story and back-scratching however you name it which seriously pollute the visibility and drag down the whole quality of the site...

I dont think getting only positive criticsm will make any photographer be able to improve. No matter how good you are or think you are, you will still need to have constructive criticsm. I know there are people that are so ridiculous, but it is obvious you can ignore their ratings when their pictures are horrible. I say, dont worry about it so much.