waldenl

Can someone clarify something for me. On a digital camera (in my

case a D100, but question holds on any) I know there is

the "multiplier" effect. In my case it's roughly 1.5. So my 50mm is

a 75mm w/o a loss of light. However, what does that 75mm mean? Do I

have the magnification of a 75mm, or just the narrower range of

view?

To put it another way, can I get as "close" to a far away object

with my 300mm on my D100 as with a 450mm on a F100?

Thanks,

-Walden

You have a "crop" of a 50mm shot that will give you the same field of view as

a 75mm lens. The perspective and DOF are that of a 50mm lens, however, in

the camera viewfinder you will perceive the scene as being magnified, but in

this case perception is not reality.

To answer you last question - it will seem that you will get as close with a

300mm as you can with a 450mm, but you will still have the optical

characteristics of a 300mm lens.

Your lens still has a 50mm focal length. The digital sensor is smaller than the 24x36mm normal film size for 35mm. With the smaller sensor; a 50mm lens on your digital camera will be covering less angle; since the digital sensor is smaller than 24x36mm. This means that your 50mm lens on your digital camera "acts" like a 75mm lens; on a regular film camera; <b>in angular coverage</b>. Imagine cropping your film camera shots done with your 50mm lens; and throwing away the stuff at the sides and top and bottom away.

This concept also happens with film and movie cameras too; in which a 50mm Nikkor can be placed on a full frame 24x36mm Nikon F; a half frame 18x24mm camera; a 16mm movie camera; a video camera; and a regular 8 movie camera. Each camera has a smaller sensor/film aperture size; and the angular coverage is less. The lens is still a 50mm lens in focal length. In movie cameras; a normal lens is considered to be "normal" when roughly twice the focal length of the film diagonal.

This whole question is much easier to understand if proper terminology is used. dSLR such as the D100 do not have a "multiplier" effect. They have a "crop factor". In your example of the 50mm lens you are effectively cropping the frame to have the same angle of view as a 75mm. NOTHING else has changed.

The "multiplier" effect term was used by marketing in the 1960's; in explaining how full frame slr camera lenses; "acted" on 1/2 frame cameras; such as the Olympus Pen F. My neighbor used Exakta slr lenses; on his 16mm movie camera; in the 1950's and 1960's; as "super telephotos". This is when I first heard the term "multiplier" effect. Marketing has thus used this term almost 1/2 century.

Your question is a frequently asked question; by searching the forums you'd have found an explanation quickly. Here are a few links:

<p><a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml">Understanding the DSLR Magnification Factor</a><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/">Depth of Field and the Digital Domain</a>

i am hoping , that, in the future, digital slr's will have a larger ( 24 x 36 mm) sensor. as far as i know the only one is the kodak. nikon 12,3? megapixel camera. there is likely a high degree of interchangability if not full functionality with other Nikon slr's

as things progress, it's likely others will make and sell cameras with larger sensors.

the main drawback/problem is that a wide angle lens must be used to get a NORMAL field of view. indoors, we have to un-naturally squeeze people together to " get them all in" *** OR back up to the wall.

**with a film camera a 35/28/21 mm lens isn't so hard to come by.

with a slr digicam a 35mm is close to normal field of view and a 35mm is harder and more expansive to make, when there is a mirror behind it as in a film slr or one that takes the same lenses.

the back focus area/distance is 45mm or so and a 35mm lens or

wider ( shorter) has to be an "inverted telephoto" or "retrofocus " design. easier for all and cheaper if th sensor was larger and " normal" as in film camera rulles and methods applied.

How many of us can afford $6.000.00 for the kodak/nikon plus big bucks for lenses? only a few!

that's why we got a much smaller digicam with an electronic VF and a lcd screen. when we look tru the vf it zooms the whole thing weighs 6-8 ounces.

i recall toting 2-3 slr bodies and several lenses and batteries, what a load! heavier than my 4 x 5 (wooden)( hollow) speed graphic!

do i really want to carry all that again?

• 5 weeks later...

I believe the following illustrates the "multiplier" effect. Imagine:

<p>

1) From the same 35mm negative<br>

2) Make a 9"x6" print<br>

3) Make a 6"x4" print<br>

4) Place the 6x4 on top of the 9x6 in the centre<br>

5) Cut around the 6x4 print<br>

6) Throw away the bits you've cut off<br>

<p>

You now have two 6x4 prints that illustrate the relative "multiplier" effect<br>of a digital sensor vs 35mm film using the same lens.