What's the deal with 120 TXP?

I have spent quite some time searching the archives concerning TXP.

The dogma seems to be that TXP (in 120) is inappropriate as a general

purpose outdoor film (one "should use" 400TX) and that it belongs in

the controlled lighting atmosphere of a studio (the toe thing). And

yet I understand that many large format landscape photographers use

Tri-X, and this would have to be TXT(=TXP). Also, I'm told that Jock

Sturges uses TXP for his luminous outdoor portraits. So for those of

you with experience with TXP, is it true that it doesn't work well in

open sunlight? I'm searching for a 120 film that has less contrast

than 400TX but that has richer skin tones that HP5+. Hope this post

is not considered inappropriate. Thanks very much.

Take a breath big guy!

you can easily control the contrast of 400TX through development. How are you processing your film now? Have you ran any film speed tests to get the correct EI for your set of materials?

I've used the old tri-x in 4x5 sheets a bit, which, as you stated, is the same emulsion as txp in 120. It's a great film, it's just not as forgiving as TXT, you'll likely need to do some testing to arrive at an E.I. and development time that works well for you, and you'll need to be pretty consistant with it, it's still not as picky as t-max films though. I always liked the skin tones in HP5 myself, but that's a subjective thing, and our processing methods can make a good deal of differance too. Good luck!

Peter

The key to using TXP is the same as it is with TX or HP5. You must find the correct EI for YOU. I used to shoot a lot of TXP in 220 (it was free from the Army). I found that it was a 1/2 stop slower than TX. I exposed it at EI 125 developed in HC110-B for 5 minutes (the old HC110) and was very happy with it.

Spend some time with it and you will soon be getting the tones you want out of it.

"Hope this post is not considered inappropriate."

=================================================

What have we done to provoke such trepidation in our forum members regarding a perfectly appropriate question?

Screw the naysayers. Use whatever piques your curiosity. Experiment away. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

"I'm searching for a 120 film that has less contrast than 400TX but that has richer skin tones that HP5+."

Then 320TXP is a good choice. The skin tones can be varied by the use of both contrast filters and different developers. ID-11/D-76 would be a good starting point. Rodinal produces an interesting, smooth look to the skin(EI=320). Microphen gives a softer look (EI=400).

controlled lighting for TXP? That's interesting. Personally I've found it to be a very flexible film. I rate anywhere from 400 to 3200 depending on how much (or little) light is available.

I don't have any shots scanned from a full sunlight shot. (don't shoot in those conditions very often)

Buy some and try it out!

Cheers,<div>0089bt-17860984.jpg.234613fe50b9ecd80cf3fb9784963fa8.jpg</div>