? about POW

john_stark

Ah, glorious black-and-white. It is a great art form that hopefully will never die. This reminds me of when Ted Turner thought that it would be a great idea to "colorize" all of the old, great B&W films from the '30's, '40's, and '50's. That was a travesty and fortunately I think it met a quick demise.For work, I have to shoot color but for myself, I shoot only B&W in 35mm and 4x5 and I have been doing this for 30 years and I can never see myself shooting color. No offense to anyone who shoots color, because some subjects work only in color just as some subjects are best shot in B&W. Whatever suits your taste I guess.

Elaine, as you have been shooting B&W for 30 years, I was wondering if there is any on-line exhibition of your work (I ask because you don't have any photos uploaded here, and I'm always willing to see what others come up with). Sorry for the off-topic question John!!

Computer generated? Yeah, a couple recently, but I doubt that Dan

Heller's was recognized as such. Saturated colors? Where? I think

there's been a pretty good variety, actually. The preference for B&W

some time ago may reflect the age of the elves who are more likely to

have expereince in the darkroom compared to ever growing number of

younger digital shooters. .

Color has a place on the POW as well, but a good b&w image does gain the most acceptance by the tougher and more outspoken PN critics. Many "purists" hate color saturated images... I say there is a place for color and b&w~ macro, sports, commercial, landscape, nudes, portraits and all types of photography on this site. I also do think we've seen a nice cross section on the POW.