Allow *Subscribors* only, to SEE the ratings.

vincetylor

Since obviously MANY would like to see the ratings/names together on

the same page, why not make that an option available only to

subscribors then. THAT alone would be a huge incentive and would

have the ability to bring non-subscribors over the fence in my

opinion. It should also still maintain a curbing effect on the

revenge rating as well.

Errm... I would very much like to subscribe. But because PayPal does not accept South African credit cards on their site I have no way of doing so. Should I and others like me now be given even more "incentive" while we can do nothing about our inability to transfer the money? Just a thought.

Jacques: This is an *idea* that differs somewhat from others. Even if it pertains to the same general subject (that of ratings) the idea is not the exact same. I find this interesting coming from you. You, who just pasted the exact same comment on several threads. Nuts.

I can't comment on the Pay-pal thing, sorry. But I do believe that many would like the opportunity to see who rated their images. With or without that capability restored, the show will go on. It was just more entertaining/enjoyable with the names. Offering this as an option for subscribers (should always proof at least once for spelling...look above) just sounds like a possible win-win to me. Aloha.

Yeah, I would also like the ability to see who rated me with what. If that option is given to subscribers then it would just increase my frustration at not being able to pay. This PayPal thing is a pet gripe of mine. I can buy stuff from Amazon.com but I can't pay Photo.net. South Africa and Russia cannot pay through PayPal, Jamaica and Ecuador can. Makes no sense to me. I'll shut up now because I realise that this issue affects probably only a small minority of members.

I pasted 'almost' the same comments in the 5 or 7 threads about hiding/visibility of rating that were all posted within last couple of days... precisely to illustrate what I am saying above here... <p> and I dont see what 'nuts' is doing here in your comments... are you an amateur of those fruits?

Jacques Henry , jul 03, 2004; 03:30 p.m.

"How many forum the same people will start on the very same subject? It is quite tiring, at least to follow.

Seems that we need a little moderation here too!"

then you admitted " I pasted 'almost' the same comments in the 5 or 7 threads"

This thread is at the minimum, at least slightly different. Unlike your 7 comments. which if moderation does step in would delete because we are not supposed to do just that.

Yes, perhaps I do like nuts. There are many all around here as well. Just having some fun. Have a good one!

<i><blockquote> we are not supposed to do just that. </blockquote> </i><p>

He said "almost" the same, and he apparently meant the comments he posted. Show me

where the rules say that it's not allowed.

I've got the same gripe as Wernher. I can't use Paypal from Taiwan, but I've no problem buying from Amazon. I've tried to subscribe, even contacted Brian about sending an international money order offering to pay the extra for any bank fees etc, but no go. I hope one day I can subscribe, as I'm usually on photo.net daily.

So far there has been virtually no discussion in this thread about the subject that it was actually posted for.

I think that the ability to see names is extremely important. Of course this isn't the direction of the site admins who seem to want to foster a site of "mass rate" "no dicuss."

I joined this site because I am an amature photographer and I really want to improve. There is no greater frustration than getting a 1/1 rating without a comment from the rater. I WANT TO IMPROVE! THAT is why I spent my little $25. There are a few people that seem to get the idea of dialogue on this site and consequently have been extremely helpfull in my learning process.

It seems to me really sad that the attitude here is ratings are more important than comments. It is also more depressing to see that that is the attitude of the site admins as well who are fostering that environment even more.

Ratings system where names are not shown may provide more objectivity but it also fosters and even greater use of the 1/1 rating without comment.

Sorry site admins. Great site. Lousy ratings idea. Realllly lousy.

I agree with Joe, bad idea. I mind less getting 1/1, if I can see who gave them. I can say I'm objective and know that many of 'us' are. So therefore when a respected photographer (for me at least) rates me, I know if I'm on the right track, my own feelings off course way more, but that way I 'had' a reference. As for the rating-process now, it seems only about the numbers and a little soul has gone from this site, maybe soul is a bit dramatic, you can also call it depth. Greatings Marco!

Yes Marco, you are right and very well said. The "soul" of the pnet Community has been diminished by the move toward anonymity. Nameless numbers are good, creating associations is bad..

To address the original subject of this thread, I think Vincent has a good idea. I have no hard figures, just my own casual observations, but it seems to me that the subscribers were not the ones causing the problems.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I received my first rating under the new system. There was no comment. I have no idea who left it. It had no effect on the over-all score on that image. It is indeed meaningless... at least now anyway!

The site has lost a fair measure of value if things continue just as they are.

I dislike the idea of making rating visible only to subscribers -- it limits the ability of someone who isn't yet a subscriber to see the worth of the rating system (for good or ill) and determine if it's worth $25/yr to subscribe. However, a similar limitation, of allowing only the *image owner* to see the ratings on an image, would cut down on one aspect of "mate rating" in that I, in rating someone's photo, wouldn't be able to see if my friends or people I respect (or want to kiss up to) have rated it high or low -- in fact, a step further; allow only the image owner to even see the average. Then my rating won't be affected by what everyone else has thought.

Of course, these methods still work better if, as image owner, I can see who rated with what numbers, for reasons I gave in another thread -- summary: because not all opinions are created equal. I'd give more weight to rating of a B&W landscape given by Ansel Adams than by Helmut Newton -- but a B&W erotic nude, I'd reverse that. Same thing applies to photo.net members -- I'd respect John Peri's opinions on candid-seeming nudes, Piotr Kowalik's on highly staged and photoshopped, dark art images, and Jay de Fehr's on large format candids (nude or otherwise) more highly than if you randomly mixed those names and working styles.