First Digital Images From M Lenses !!!!!

fotografz

Picked up a homeade rig off EBAY for $10.00. It's an M-mount part(#16469,

not knowledgeable enough about Leica gizmo's to know what it's from)

epoxied to Canon EOS T-mount adapter. It leaves the lens pretty far from the

film plane so I was thinking of mating it to a M42-EOS adapter. It would still be

macro but perhaps give a little more minimum focus.

I contacted S.K. Grimes about an adapter and they said they had and can

make a custom job. I had heard from a photographer friend in town that he

knew of a guy that had Grimes make an adapter and used it shooting some

annual reports.

Can you believe it? I have a Mac 23" cinema display and can fill the screen with these

images without loss of quality !! It looks like Medium Format stuff. And this was just

the 10D. What the hell will it look like using the 1Ds I wonder?

I need this to shoot jewelry assignments. Diamonds cause all kinds of problems when

shooting digital that these lenses may help solve for me.

Leica, wake up for God's sake.

14167 M (Viso) to R adaptor, plus Novoflex R-EOS adaptor. I used my 400/6.8 Telyt-V on my D30 all the time. Any of the removable-head M lenses with the appropriate short-mounts would work on that combo also. Stephen Gandy www.cameraquest.com has Japanese-made versions of the above adaptors as well.

Marc, I can see it now! Your clients will arrive with secure case's and ultra expensive product, and you'll whip out a camera with duct tape holding the lens on...

Good work man, if it wasn't for people like you, we'd still be on a horse and carriage!

Spectacular images, Marc. Can you produce the same shots with another manufacturers' lenses so that we can compare, even just a little bit? Then again, with your skills, the equipment doesn't seem to be the biggest variable in the shots. The composition, lighting, framing....all make the shots work.

Ingenious, Marc!

Like Jay said - there is an adapter path already in existence. The M-to-R adapter adds a bit of depth, so your results would be "more" macro than just using the gaffer's tape. Except, of course, with the short-head lenses.

I did a similar trick hand-holding a 90-M against the front of my Leicaflex SL at a time when I had no macro lens for the SL - same scale, different capture material.

Does the 10D have mirror-lockup? It might be interesting/fun to (carefully!) try the Leicaflex-mount version of the old 21 Super-Angulon f/3.4 (same optics as the M-mount version, different mount/barrel).

It would give a good idea of just how much corner fall-off and other artifacts really would result from using a short-focus "true" wide-angle on an imaging chip. The apparent focal length on a 1.6x-mag-factor chip would be 34mm or so. Should allow infinity (scale) focusing.

Also - Cosina now makes SLR mirror-up versions of the 15mm lens (and I think even the 12mm), at least in Nikon F mount. I think cameraquest has Nikon F-to-EOS adapters. They would equal 24 and 19mm fields of view on a 1.6x chip.

Seems like you could cobble together a pretty decent 'proof-of-concept' rig that covers all the "M" focal lengths out to infinity. If we could demonstrate that lenses with really short backfocuses can, in fact, be used with current image sensors and produce acceptable images, we might be able to get some manufacturer to move off the dime and make a body to use them.

A company in Japan makes OM lens adapters for EOS cameras. It's on a thread by Neil D. in the Olympus Forum on Sept 05, 2003. Just look up the archives of the Olympus forum. The address of the company is even mentioned.

Good to see you so excited, Marc. Still, it gives me a "Handwriting is on the Wall" feeling. Needed therapy, so I went out and took about 50 shots of my favourite bridge...

Cool. I could probably put a 10D or 1DS sensor in the back of an M, if I thought it were worth the trouble (and if I could afford one).

Mark, the test I would really like to see -- and you're just the guy to do it -- is to lock the mirror up on a 1DS, put a shorter Leica lens in there (like a 24, 28, or 35), focus at normal distances (by trial and error, I suppose), and see how bad the performance at the edges REALLY is. Leica (and others) keep saying that we'll never see a full frame M because current sensors won't work with the sensor so close to the lens.

But I'd like to see what really happens. Are there color problems? Is the main problem just light falloff (which could be largely corrected electronically)? Does the antialiasing filter in front of the sensor make the sensor more tolerant of non-perpendicular rays?

If a 1DS sensor makes good images with a Leica lens, then someone could certainly put that sensor (and electronics) in a Leica body.

Sorry, John, but EOS lacks MLU capability, only mirror pre-fire. Unless Marc <i>tapes</i> the mirror up (and that sounds dicey), symmetric WA's are out. I've played the "hand-held" adapter game with Contax SLR lenses in front of a D30 - fun stuff! For Leica and CV M lenses, you need the real-deal MLU from the RTS III, Nikon F, K1000, etc.

• 1 month later...