Armed and ready, quickloads are here, have 545i...

vick_ko

Hello all

I'm a newbie, but after patiently waiting, my Fuji quickload film is here, I've

bought a Polaroid 545i back, and I'm ready to shoot. There's lots of buildings

around, and the mornings are looking stunning as autumn sets in.

Is there anything that I should keep in mind before I shoot my first 4x5 film?

I've been reading all the "mistakes with LF" postings with intense interest.

Will the Polaroid back work well with the Fuji quickloads? My web search

indicates "probably yes".

Should I hold out and buy a real Fuji back for the quickloads?

Thanks all.

Vick

Vick,

A few basics: use a sturdy tripod, level the camera, focus carefully, lock down all movements/controls, use a nice long (20" or so) cable release and let the camera "settle" after removing the darkcloth, placing/removing film holder, before tripping the shutter. Shade the lens if necessary and slowly press the cable release.

With bellows and QL jackets extended, the slightest breeze can throw your focus off. You may find it useful to recheck focus after making an image. I found that keeping good notes is generally helpful.

I have always used a QuickLoad holder for QLs, so I cannot speak to the 545 doing double duty.

Most importantly, have fun. -Dan

Congratulations!

The 545 backs aren't the greatest for Kodak and Fuji packet film. After reading Butzi's article a while ago, I did a test of a 40x50" wall map with a 210 lens at f/11. Sure enough, the sheet in the 545i holder had some softness, whereas the sheet in the kodak holder did not. Your mileage may vary, but I'm sure it will work fine for you to get started.

The Polaroid back is not ideal for the Fuji Quickloads but it will work okay. My tests

several; years ago (about 1999) with both gave me consistently sharper rsults with

quickload film i nthe Fuji Quickload holder.

That aside, it is a much better idea to go out with Polaroid Type 55 film for your first few

4x5 outings than with any kind of film that has to be taken to a lab for processing.

Polaroid prints give you near instant feedback and in particular the type 55 negative lets

you check critical focus on the spot even if you choose not to save them for later printing

or scanning. To examine focus in the field use your loupe on the smooth, non-chemically

coated side of the negativeYou can number and write down the results on the print or on

the back of the print for futire reference. These qualities are real boons to learning to use

4x5.

Lee, that was an interesting article, particularly about the cost of quickload film versus sheets. One cost I weighed, when considering whether to use quickloads, was the duplicate images I was always making in order to hedge my "bet" against dust in my film holder. With quickloads, I make far fewer shots of the same subject and for me, the cost is lower than using holders. Other costs I weighed were: a) the cost of film holders and replacements over time, b) my time!, c) portability and not having to carry a separate bag just for film holders.

Wait a while, a month perhaps, before using tilts. Get comfortable with the camera before trying to change the plane of focus.

Rule #1 for me is 'Close the shutter before loading the holder.' All I need is some way to remember to pull the envelope before pressing the shutter release.

Find a nice secluded place, out of the wind, for your first few times with the camera. People will constantly want to talk to you about your camera.

I've never done a sharpness test with the Polaroid and Fuji backs, but the Fuji is lighter and takes up less space.

Consider a roll film back for your next equipment purchase. Unless you are making huge enlargments, the quality difference between 6x9 or 6x7 and 4x5 is negligeable. And your film and processing costs are significantly reduced.

Dave

<i>Will the Polaroid back work well with the Fuji quickloads? My web search indicates "probably yes"</i>. <br>

Yes, of course, you can do it. But keep in mind that Pola backs are not the best holders, because they have no pressure plate.<br>

Envelope and film thickness and dimensions are not exactly the same from a brand to another.<ul>

<li>Quickload films on Quickload holders,

<li>Readyload films on Readyload holders,

<li>Polaroid films on Polaroid holders.</ul>

Take a look at Robert WHite's website, and you'll have your answer.<br>

Follow this link : <a href="http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/Large%20accessories.htm">"Quickload, Readyload and Polaroid Film holders ナcompatibility"</a> <br>

There, under "Film Holders" click on "Sheet Film Holders", and read.<br>

Just keep in mind the difference between "price" and "value".<br>

Do you think that the <u>value</u> of your pictures is worth saving the <u>price</u> of a Quickload holder, either new or used ?<br>