Wide Angle choice

laurents_rupar

Dear all,

Initially I was looking for a prime wide angle like the AF 20mm 2.8D,

but after some time I met several people saying "go for a wide angle

zoom!".

Well, I know, that there are a lot of prime-lovers out there, but a

zoom definitely has some advantages. Now I am having a look at the 17-

35mm and the 20-35mm, whereas I tend to prefer the 20-35mm.

Does anybody has some suggestions or comments on this two lenses?

Thank you very much for your help,

Laurents

You got to ask yourself how much will you use this lens Laurents. A lot of people will tell you to go for the 17-35mm, which to me and a lot of forum users is just way too expensive. I just got the 18-35, which I love and it's about one third the price of the 17-35. It's not a very fast lens, which I don't think is critical in this zoom range, and may be a little soft at 18mm in the extreme corners wide open on my film camera, but if you are shooting that wide, your point of interest is generally near the center anyhow. Put it on a digital body and this is no longer a problem, because you are not using the corners anyway. Build quality might be lacking too, but most of us Nikon owners take good care of our gear. For the money it is definitely worth it. Just my two cents.

I have one question for you Laurents. Are you shooting film or digital?<p>

I use a Nikkor 12-24 DX at work and it is a very nice lens but not cheep. We shoot digital at work. My D100 or the companys S-2 For myself I own mostly primes and can tell you that the

20mm D is a very nice lens I use it on my D100 and on my F3 it does a great job. I also have a 14mm for when I need to get very wide.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a 18-35 af 3.5 (the latest one) and after using it for a while i got the shits with it being so slow. (3.5-4.5 i think) so i went and bought a 20mm af2.8d prime, i shot some tests with both lenses set at 20mm f4, (sharpness test, falloff test, rectalinear distortion etc..) and i found that the 18-35 actually outperformed the 20mm in nearly all the tests, go figure! and all this after reading that the 20mm was an amazing lens. The 18-35 doesnt feel as meaty as the 17-35 f2.8 but is 1/3 the price. Also the former is a lot slower too, which annoys me for indoor candids (dinner partys etc..)