Looking for Infrared/Sound Trigger for High Speed Photography

david choo

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a variety of infrared/sound either/or/and devices

that allow me to trigger my strobe equipment for motion.

I often do motion photography where I need precise triggering of my

strobe as the motion occurs or a while after.

Example: Hammer breaking lightbulb, bottle dropping into fishtank.

Anyone have any suggestions on a cost effective trigger?

I burn way too much 4x5 film and props doing this stuff with my

reflexes. :P

>>I burn way too much 4x5 film and props doing this stuff with my reflexes. :P<<

have you read "Shutter Finger, A Technique in Zen Meditation for Motion Photographers"? :-P

Depending on where you live, I would ask someone who does elect. engineering to make you a device that suits your needs. For example: for motion photography (such as you describe) you need a fairly narrow beam so as to be able to trigger at a precise, pre-determined point in the action (like when the bottle top touches the water, etc...). Then, the delay in the transfer of signal between the sensor and the triggering mechanism must also be calculated, to get really precise. However, all of this is not expensive and someone (even a student in a university) might be able to make you (or design) something better & cheaper than what you can buy.

I had met a photographer (a while back) who was using three different sensors (IR, sound and laser) with ONE triggering system. He would simply plug/un-plug the different sensors. Perhaps you could have something like that built or designed.

...or you could go with the Zen Meditation book ;-P

David,

Check your local library for "Electronic Projects in Photography", by R.A. Penfold (ISBN #0408005009). It's an old book, but it contains a simple sound-trigger circuit which would probably be a good starting point if you want to build it yourself.

BJ

• 4 weeks later...

David,

Check out http://www.hiviz.com/kits/products.htm. They have infrared and sound triggers from $5-18. They come in kits that I've found to be very easy to assemble on a solderless breadboard, and even have online instructions and photos of the final circuit if you run into any trouble. The site is also the best I've seen for high-speed photography tips yet, as it's meant for an educational audience. Plenty of useful information there.

-DC

• 3 years later...

Please check http://www.universaltimer.com/

The Universal Photo Timer is a hand-held controller for high speed photography. The unit integrates an infra-red camera remote, flash sync output and timer with triggering sensors.

The unit can interface with various professional and consumer brands of cameras and electronic flashes. The unit can learn new camera codes from your existing infra-red camera remote, allowing virtually unlimited interface options.

It contains a built in light sensor and a microphone for sound triggering. Additional external sensor connections provide expansion capability for a wide range of custom sensors such as; motion, pressure, vibration or light sensors.

Attached is a sample image of an umbrella drop. It was taken using the Universal Photo Timer.<div>00OO83-41680184.jpg.7be4fca8194f9dcd9d83d8cd06aa57af.jpg</div>

• 5 months later...
I custom design, build and sell custom sound, laser, shock, motion and infra-red triggers and would be glad to help anyone out. A major part of my builds are for the media who set up for the space shuttle launches and need a sound trigger set up with a 7 day programmable digital timer. The digital timer triggers are spendy so if you're in the market for just the basics I can set you up. Give me a bell if you're in the market.

• 1 year later...