Porta 400UC, again.

I know a lot has been said about UC here, I read most of it but now I'd like your opinions

on a specific situation. I'll be shooting the cycling world cup in a few days, so there will be

a whole lot of bright colors and some skin. I'll be using Portra 400UC. Is there any

particular ISO setting you'd recommend in this particular situation? Preliminary weather

forecasts say that it'd be partially overcast but mostly sunny with a temp under 70.

I found that some people rate it at 320, without explaining why exactly. I need to really

take advantage of the situation of mixed colors and come up with something vibrant and

compelling. UC is already a great way to start, I though rating it differently can do even

better. Any suggestions or perhaps 400 works fine as is? BTW, I am OK with the skin tones

issue. I know there are mixed opinions and tastes about how UC renders them. I'm in the

crowd that votes for it.

I don't want to make any changes in processing. The negatives will be scanned and

printing is not an issue.

I know many believe that the ISO rating for 400UC is wrong. If you have indeed read the posts you would know that most people on the site rate it at ISO 320 to achieve best results. That's where I shoot it and I love the resluts, I know I have acccidentally shot it at the DX preset of 400 on accident occasionally and was not as happy by far. So that is my advice to you as well, I am fine on the skin tone issue also. Just my 2 cents.

Jonathan

This film has a huge amount of over-exposure latitude.So it is better to make sure the shadows get some density,since it is assumed the highlights wont lose detail with 1-2 stops over exposure.Negative films should be exposed for the shadows.In a normal metering scenario,with an averaging type camera meter,this isnt the case.So setting the meter at 250-320,over exposes the film & insures that the shadows dont block up.As for UC as a people film exclusively,Id avoid it for weddings,but I love it for landscape shots.I would think it would work perfect for motorcycling shots.

The 400UC would be a good choice. I have shot it rated at 320~400. 320 vs 400 is

"how many stops? . . . or what percentage over?" I think either works fine on MY

cameras . . . that I have tested the meters and shutters against some constants etc.

Considering its latitude either choice is fine, and you can always bracket the shots.

You could even push it a stop and get good results with the proper processing.