busted in brookline, 80 minutes ago

john_sidlo

The police were busy and I don't believe were aware I was taking pictures, or if they were, didn't say anything (I was shooting from the strap). I sent them an email pointing them to this site, and have heard back from them, once to thank me and tell me the outcome (summarized above), and once again from one of the officers asking for prints.

The whole sequence of the cuffing is interesting - you can see how coordinated it was, with the two police working both sides to get the cuffs snapped on in 2 seconds. Not something you want to mess up, for lots of reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought that crossed my mind going quickly over the pics and the discussion --

I wonder whether arrested suspects have a right to their own pictures and whether the guys to photographed may sue you for taking photos of them (and publishing them) without their consent.

• 2 months later...

It's all fair use. For editorial use, courts and guilt don't matter. Of course, anyone with the resources can make a civil case out of anything.

As long as you are not interfering with the police, or told to stop because you are, keep shooting. Keep in mind that cops can arrest you for anything at any time. They may confiscate your camera as "evidence".

I'm not a lawyer. I do believe in the pre-Patriot Act version of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.