Hasselblad Through Airport Security

a_anon

Anyone have any experiences going through airport security with an

older Hasselblad? Do they know it's a camera? Have you had to take it

apart etc? Thanks, any information is appreciated. As for film, I was

advised by a security person last trip to just put my x-ray shield

bags of film right on the conveyer belt rather than keep them in my

carry-on while going. through.

Firstly, the kind request to look through a clear plastic bag is the safest, but, as has been confirmed many times here, there is no way for the operator to "turn up the power" or wattage or do anything but look at your film as he or she looks at every bag. I have spoken with security personal countless times, including an avid large format and Leica photographer that works at Newark in the security detail, and they cannot increase the power!

Interesting, I've heard differently but maybe that applies to European airports. Flying out of Budapest I got into a conversation with one of the security officers (a Leica fan) and his advice was to put film into a clear plastic bag. I pass through Heathrow regularly and I'm tempted to ask, the concern is being mistaken for Bin Laden with such an enquiry, and whisked off for the rubber glove treatment!

I have a 501cm which I've not yet taken on a flight since 911 - but plan to in several weeks. I suspect the inspector may want to take it apart. In anticipation of this, I plan to wind the camera before going through the line. This makes it possible, with a Hasselblad, to re-insert the lens without doing certain things with the lens attachment mechanism. Others may be able to advise you on this technique. (I've not had to do it - but my instruction manual, not handy at this moment, tells how to do it.) Even if the camera is pre-wound, I'm concerned that an uncommunicative inspector will try on his/her own to take the lens out forcefully and perhaps cause damage. The key,of course, is to do the disassembley yourself if that is allowed. Otherwise, you can try to explain to the inspector how to do it. The reason I bring all this up is because I had a bad experience two years ago. I had a large number of slides all carefully packaged together which the inspector wanted to take apart. Fearing that slides would be spilled all over, I offered to take the package apart but the inspector absolutely refused to talk to me and proceeded on his own. Fortunately nothing went wrong - but I wonder what would have happened if the same person had wanted to take apart my 35mm camera. This event happened shortly after 911 - and my experience in recent times has been that inspectors are much more cooperative and communicative. Still, I'm going to be as prepared as posssible in advance when I take the Hasselblad on my next flight.

I have travelled all over the world (N. American, Europe, Asia) with my Hasselblad

203FA, since 9-11. Every security agent has recognized that this is a camera,

although they sometimes think it is a video camera with my PM45 ontop. I have never

had any hassle from the camera alone ... At most, they have asked to look through the

viewfinder. I have never been asked to take it apart. The degree of inspection is

worse in Canada, less in US, and almost ignored in Europe (i.e. just pass through xray

machine). The only hassle I ever had was trying to board (in Canada) with my

homemade lens which is a loupe lens stuck to a body cap with a lot of black duct

tape. Despite two passes through the xray and a couple of swipes with the ionizer

machine, they still were reluctant to have me board with the item, unless I was willing

to take off the duct tape. I told them the tape was holding the thing together. After a

while they said I could take it on board, but ironically suggested that I should have

packed the suspicious item it in my checked bags. Go figure.

In terms of film, with the latest FAA guidelines, I have found that putting all of my film

(inside foil packs, but out of boxes) into a clear ziplock and nicely asking for a hand

inspection will usually be your best solution. In the US and Canada they will gladly

honor this request with 120, especially if they see the word "professional" on the film.

A token roll of 3200 doesn't hurt to help get your request !!! Also mention that you

have multiple stops and want to avoid multiple xrays. As they don't readily recognize

120 rolls, they usually realize it is special. At most, they may open a foil pack or two

to swipe. But usually they just swipe the outside of the rolls and the bag. In Europe,

it is a different story. heathrow in my experience, forget hand inspections. They will

constantly assure you there is no risk to film. France, same thing. Frankfurt ... no

way. Other countries are variable.

But, the bottom line, is I have had film subject to at least 4 or 5 xrays on a single trip

and I could not appreciate any deterioration. But, it is nice to know that in N. America

you can avoid a few passes by nicely asking for the hand inspeciton.

Obviously, never put film in your checked bags !

They ALWAYS look in my bag after scanning. Very few have a clue as to what the Hassy SWC is. I just imagine what the scan looks like:

A weapon with some scope mounted on top.

They're happy just looking through the viewfinder to make sure there's nothing inside the camera. 8*)

Steve

I travel regularly with Hasselblad cameras as carry on luggage. Never had a request to examine the camera, it just passes through the x-ray unquestioned. As far as film goes I simply put it in the bag along with the camera with no extra protection and again never had a problem.<p><a href="http://www.keithlaban.co.uk">Keith Laban Photography</a>

I have travelled with my 501 since 9/11 throughout the US and France and Germany and no one has ever asked to examine the camera. I have never had a problem obtaining hand-inspection of my film in the US, or at DeGaulle or Frankfurt airports. In my experience, airport security personnel have been more helpful since 9/11 than before (at least in the US, where the federalized inspectors are much better trained than their rude and totally untrained private sector predecessors).

Although I don't shoot much 3200-speed film, I always have some in clear plastic bags (together with the Tri-X that I actually use) to convince any reluctant inspectors that an x-ray inspection would be inappropriate. Having this film has cut short several discussions regarding the safety of the x-ray machines.

I'm curious about the UK: do they insist on an x-ray inspection of Delta 3200?

Hi all,

I travel A LOT !!

I may pass through security up to 6 times a day - average 3 time s a day.

I have personally stood by the monitor while my bags are being scanned, and after questioning the operator about the big black nothing that was my lead lined film bag that he couldn't see through, had the "pleasure" of watching him turn up the juice so that we could both see that there are film inside the bag.

They can and will turn up the power if need be.

Needless to say I normally ask for a hand search of my film, and have never had any problems from any one with that request.

After 9/11 I had many hand searches of my gear, the funiest one I had to show the personnel that the camera was a working model by shooting at least one frame! This may be a catch 22 since photography at security points aren't allowed!

I also had one case where security thought my Contax 645 was some exotic Video cam.

If you don't frett they won't - they don't want to look stupid in front of the public so they don't!

Enjoy the Trip

May all of us get the perfect shots this year!!

Regards

Whether they can or can't "turn up the power" is immaterial. I've seen them move the bag out and then back into the X-ray several times so that their co-workers and supervisors can each take a look. X-ray exposure is cumulative. I keep my film in my ditty bag (the one with my sweater, Bucky pillow, book etc., not my camera bag. They can ray the cameras all they like.

I just flew from Albuquerque to Newark and was traveling with my Flexbody. I was pulled aside and asked about the camera. The "security guard" wanted to keep my cable release because he was unsure what it did. After 10 minutes explaining, he let me keep it. As for film, they will not hand check anything. All items must go through the xray machine. So far, the film is fine.

I never had problems with MF gear or 35mm, but you would not believe the crap I go thru when I carry my black Minox LX! "Is it a SOG knife? Nooo. Is it a multi-tool? Nooo. It's a camera! Let's click it several times just to be sure and then maybe we will let it thru."

Meanwhile the real risks are sliding thru out on the tarmack.

I'd like to positively comment on improvements on treatment of professional photographers in the 911 aftermath. In the first couple of months, the whole thing was completely out of control, with the same people who were doing it prior to 911 but just in altered state of mind doing the inspection. People with guns in reach who shouldn't...

Meanwhile, there has been a real improvement in terms of personnel. People actually able to speak English, know what a camera is and how it looks like, etc.. I am sure salaries went up, and we are paying, but I am all for it.

I recommend sticking with one airline, and possibly upgrading to frequent flyer status. American has been real good at organizing their security, at least for me. No affiliations...

It comes down to mutual respect. You respect that they have to do their tests and calculate some extra time. I recommend complete compliance in terms of everything else - shoes, belts, etc.. In turn, I have received extremely courteous treatment, at least in the recent year.

Last May I flew from Toronto to San Fran. In Toronto I had to take the camera apart and the inspector looked through each lense and in the camera body I had to open the film box take out a factory wrapped film and open the blue plastic film cover pouch. The film did not get xrayed. They had never seen a camera like it. That surprised me. On the way back from San Fran I had no film left, I used the new lab to do the developing and had the processed film shipped separetely. Anyway the camera and lenses went through the xray right along wi th my shoes and the inspector didn't even open the bag. I asked them if they wanted to open it and they said they knew it was a camera. SO either the US inspector there had a better knowledge or the USA X-Ray was powerful enought to clearly see the camera and the lenses. I suspect the later. I was very nervous with the Canadian inspector because of the possibility of her damaging the camera or lense. I knew the film and xray would be a problem so I arranged ahead of time to have a large film order waiting fo me in San Fran and then I ran a test roll and got it developed and the Gossen meter was off, I had to buy a new meter. As an after thought could the xray have damaged the meter sensor on the gossen?

I've gone through several Canadian Airports (mostly Toronto) fairly regularly and no-one every has asked me to take my 500CM + prism and lenses out. If anything they run that little wand with the cloth along the zippers of the bag and put the cloth through the analysis machine (chemical analysis???)

Other than a couple of occassions, 120 films in the 5-roll "professional" marked cardboard package are hand inspected without a problem.

Act appropriately, treat the security people with respect and a smile, and look people in the eye. You've got nothing to hide. It's always worked for me.

In the US you have a RIGHT under the Federal Law to request "hand check" of film. Often the

security people will ask, "What is the film speed?" and if you say anything less than 800 they

may insist the xray won't hurt it. However I just returned from an 18-day assignment and the total

trip involved going through12 security checks. I hand carried the cameras & lenses in Pelican

cases and let them xray them. I carried 48 rolls of film in a clear plastic bag, but still in the boxes.

Most was 50 and 100 speed, but I threw in a couple of 800, 1600 and 3200 boxes on top.

I was polite and explained I was a professional on assignment and couldn't risk multiple xrays

during the trip. Only ONCE did I have to INSIST on the hand screening. That guy opened

every single box of film and checked each roll with a swipe strip for explosive chemicals. I had

to wait 15 minutes for him to finish, but he did it.

EACH person you contact at a screening point is an INDIVIDUAL just like you and I. Someone

may be having a bad day; perhaps their car was rear-ended enroute to work or their wife just left

them for a guy who works the night shift at the same airport. There is no "universal rule" which

applies to how any one of these individuals will react. Just be polite and, if necessary, ask for

the supervisor who usually knows the rules and the law about hand check of film. In fact, the

Security people are REQUIRED to have a sign posted informing you that you have the right to

insist on a hand check of film. (I've only encountered such a sign twice, however.)

Another good comment to make --which I had to use once--is, "It's not a $6 roll of film I'm worried

about; it's the $3,500 Assignment I'm on that I don't want to have to reshoot at my own

expense." You have to keep your cool; getting upset or going into long explanations just digs

you a hole. When common sense fails, use humor, change the subject, talk about the "weather

back home" or the "weather here" or anything else.

Remember above all, you are dealing with a different INDIVIDUAL at each checkpoint and

"they" can't be expected to all react the same way, whether you have a couple of Hasseblads

and a host of lenses, or just a bag full of film.