Zeiss Contessa vs. Contina

<p>I still use my Zeiss Contessa regularly. I own a lot of cameras, but this is probably my favorite. I carry it with me everywhere, and my dad bought it in Germany during the Korean war. I have it serviced regularly, fixed the light meter myself--though I don't use meters much, and feel like I am its curator.</p>

<p>Enter the Contina. I've never known much about it, but wonder how the cameras compare, especially the Tessar versus the Novar lens. Why did Zeiss create the Contina? What was the Zeiss Ikon's thinking in having both the Contessa and Contina? Were they for different markets? How does the build comare? I hear the Contessa rangefinders, while unique, were actually quite good and hold up well. Mine has. So why the Contina's more traditional rangefinder build? Thanks for the conversation.</p>

<p>Not an expert Axel, but I do have both and my impressions are as follows. The Contessa is a bit older and of course is a folder, where the Contina is solid. In my opinion the Contessa was built by Zeiss when was still making top quality cameras, the Contina and later Zeiss Ikons suffered from the hand of the accountants and the quality dropped off considerably at the end. The Continas were still quite nice, but not to the standard of the Contessa.<br>

A lot has been written about the Novar versus Tessar, and while the Tessar is obviously better, the Novar performs really well for a triplet. Fitting of the Novar is an example of cost cutting and maybe the Contina was aimed at a different market to the Contessa.<br>

The Contina did come as a version with the Tessar, but that is not common. Stick with your Contessa, they are a really nice camera and will still give excellent results. Some people say that a rigid bodied camera will always perform better than a folder due to alignment problems, but one thing Zeiss did well was building solid folders, and I have a few and no problems with alignment or accuracy of the rangefinder.</p>

<p>The Contessa was the high-end and Contina, the low-end. From models to lens/shutter combinations within each model there were often numerous "levels" of cameras. Probably one of the things which cost Zeiss in the end. Way too many choices.</p>

<p><br /> I've owned both folding Contessa's and folding Contina's, as well as some of the rigid Contessa's and Contina's from the late 60's towards the end of Zeiss as a camera-maker. The f3.5 Novar is very nice. Good picture takers, but the only film camera I have these days is a Contessa folder.</p>

Like you I have often wantand wanted a real close comparison.I have a Contessa too. I like using it a lot. A few posts down (about not trusting leather strap ) is pictured an original Contina. This model was first designated Ikonta (35) then later the name Contina. This is/was a folder much in a fashion like the Contessa. I think Zeiss Ikon wanted something for every pocketbook so the Contina was an economic alternative at the time. I think they came with Tessars too. As Tony L has pointed out, The bean counters really were pushing the envelope. Both the Contessa and the Contina series became fixed lens cameras and in various attire some with Tessar lenses, Novar or Pantar, later with or without RF, as well as lightmeter. Tony L. said the construction quality was excellent in the early models the mid 50s. But by the 1960s the material quality was good, but the construction design had been so stripped of finesse that the models all became a bit lifeless. Mere ghosts of their former selves. The very lightweight Contina J I have is a fine performer but the Prontor 300 shutter is not very sophisticated,feels cheap, makes a "plunk sound" when fired and seems to seize at 1/30 . The viewfinder which is bright enough has no RF. This same lens 45mm Pantar is used in the Contessamat a semi automatic using a Prontormatic 125. The Contessa LKE uses a 50mm Tessar in a Prontor 500 LK shutter.<div>00b5IZ-506635584.jpg.bd9431248b4660fecf4c091ecb3bb209.jpg</div>

<p>Well Mike they are sort of small and considered compact for their day. But in comparison to the original Contessa they are a bit bigger. I don't have the Contessa open, but I think you can imagine it behind the folded gate. I think I will one day compare the Contina J to the early Voigtlaender Vito B. I was just struck by how similar the toppart is in construction. Also the later Contessas shown here have similar bottom rewinds etc. Just goes to show imitation is the highest form of flattery ... just who is flattering whom?</p><div>00b5PW-506685784.jpg.2aceb7a3b7a63236b468ed3f162beeee.jpg</div>

The Contessa was the flagship model. It came with the Opton (Tessar) and the Synchro Compur w 500. A rangefinder similar in construction to the large format folders (still in production) and a light meter. A pocket rocket in the day I suspect.

Michael Stankwiecz showed us a glimpse of the Contina a few posts before. It would be nice to see some complete photos.

I obtainted my Contessa at a photoshop in Stuttgartt on one of my first trips to Germany. I paid DM135,00 in 1989. I tried to bargain with the owner. I made an offer, he told me the price was marked on the tag. So much for haggling. I felt it was the perfect complement to my Super Ikonta B 532/16. I've had good results but the viewfinder is so tiny. and the settingre hard to see now with my aging eyes. The light meter seems to work well. Whether it is umm spot on?? at 50 years! Like all my cameras they are more beaters than exquiste examples.<div>00b5Ta-506729884.jpg.06d37058a158eba18a71d94a079005ce.jpg</div>

<p>No, they're all zone focus, <strong>Michael</strong>. The meters work on all of them. Three have the Pantar lens which accepts "interchangeable" Zeiss telephoto or wide angle attachments, while the other has the Nova lens. Why Zeiss never went the extra step of adding rangefinders, I'll never know. I really should put one through it's paces for the Forum...</p>

• 2 weeks later...
My dad had a Contina that he used all through the 60s and 70s. Scale focus, uncoupled selenium meter, lovely smooth feel to the wind mechanism and nearly silent shutter. It was the budget model compared to the Contessa, but it has a quality feel to it. I have that camera now, and it gets used on rare occasions.