Your top favorite 3 Canon lenses for fashion & glamour!

rob_h5

<p>Just a random survery of what your favorite Canon lenses (zooms or primes) used specifically for shooting editorial fashion or glamour! 3rd party lenses wth a Canon EOS mount is OK. No wrong or right answers just your opinion. My top 3 lenses are (all L glass) :</p>

<p><strong>Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM lens </strong><br /><strong>Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM lens</strong><br /><strong>Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM lens</strong></p>

<p>Runner up <strong>Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM.</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

Anyone use the <strong>Carl Zeiss Zeiss 85mm<em> </em>f/1.4 ZE Planar T* </strong>for Canon EOS for fashion?. I have heard great reviews about this lens but refrained only from using this lens because its <em>only manual focus</em>. As much as I love to shoot manual there are times when AF is needed. From the list above I have used the Canon 135mm L f2.0 and 24-105mm f4L lenses both for fashion and both are outstanding razor sharp lenses with the 135L being exceptionally sharp with creamy bokeh at f2.0. Just my opinion. :)</p>

Canon 85 1.2L Headshots and close-ups

Tamron 28-75 f2.8. favorite studio lens

Canon 17-40 f4L editorial when I want to capture environmental scene in shot.

in studio I can't tell much of an image quality difference between any of t

hose lenses. The 85 is probably the best, but I rarely use it. The Tamron stays on my 5d mark II.

<p>Erwin good choices of Canon lenses especially the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II lenses most people don't know these lenses are used with the Canon 5DMKII camera by the top Playboy glamour photographers. I have shot with the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM lens and the Canon 5DMKII and only prefer that zoom to the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 because Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 has a longer reach at the tele end. I found the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 to be very sharp even if it is a slower lens at f/4.</p>

<p>Harry I have also shot with the humble 85mm f1.8 and the 50 f1.4 both lens are excellent value and *almost* as good as the L lenses in the same class IMO. The only difference besides the extra f-stop speed with the higher end lenses in the same class is that L lenses I notice pick up more colors in color spectrum. Almost like X-ray vision, it picks up colors that the normal eye doesn't see. Especially with the UD or Ultra Dispersion glass in the L lenses, the Canon 85/1.2 L MKII and Canon 135/2 L are excellent examples of this.</p>

<p>M.P I have also used the Canon 17-40L lens and although I find it a tad wide for people for fashion/glamour on Canon full frame I find it a excellent landscape lens. And although I shoot with the Canon 135/2 L I haven't used the Canon 85/1.2 L II lens yet, because understandable it's expensive. I want to try that lens next as I hear nothing but great reviews about the 85/1.2 L II lens and its ones of the best lenses Canon makes. Have you used the Canon 135/2 L as well and if so how would you compare the two?<em> For people shooting with the 85/1.2 is the DOF too shallow</em>, does the nose get out of focus with that lens when focusing on the eyes? For me f2 is plenty shallow DOF, just right for fashion/glamour but I would like to hear from your experience with the 85/1.2 L II lens.</p>

<p>I don't see how 24-70 or 24-105 are good lenses for the purpose mentioned here. Of course, you can take pictures with any lens, but are these the favorites for fashion/glamor, really? Do you really have to shoot in a 10x10 cubicle?</p>

<p>In fashion, glamor, and portrait, one is mostly looking for compressed foreground, and just enough DOF. Sharpness is not on the top of agenda here, decent sharpness will do (all lenses will meet this requirement),</p>

<p>My favorite lens for these applications is 70-200 f/2.8. It covers the desired focal length (giving good compressed foreground) and a combination of wide aperture and focal length can be used to control DOF and get excellent Bokeh. The only drawback to these lenses is these are so sharp, they literally cut through the skin! My favorite is the older non-IS version at half the price of mark II version.</p>

<p>Other excellent lenses would be 85mm, 135mm, and 200mm. They will trump 70-200 zoom in image quality at their respective focal length, but obviously they dont have the versatility that is afforded by Zoom.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon lenses especially the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II lenses most people don't know these lenses are used with the Canon 5DMKII camera by the top Playboy glamour photographers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Zameen I totally agree with you about Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L being the best "zoom lens" option for fashion and glamour. But I was trying to narrow it down to three lenses and this was a touch choice, but really its a total coin toss for me between these fine zooms: 70-200mm f2.8 L and the 24-105mm f/4 L and even the 24-70mm f/2.8 L lenses. But having shot with the 24-105mm for fashion I would have to say that lens is very underated but really the 70-200mm f2.8 L is also great choice, which is why I gave it a runner up...basically its tough to narrow down to just only 3 lenses!</p>

<p>As I mentioned before, I saw a fantastic glamour photo shot with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and the Canon 5DMKII by a top Playboy photographer. Basically these mini-zoom lenses are great when you have "limited space" such as in a house or outside patio or a small studio. It was only the limited space issue where mini-zooms have the true advantage and it is that reason alone that I prefer the Canon L mini-zooms over the more tele-zooms. I shoot with the superb 135 f/2 L all the time and there were many times I wish I had one of these Canon mini-zooms because of space issues. If space was never a issue then hands down the 70-200mm f2.8 L zoom would be my zoom lens of choice.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>On my 400D I used mostly the 17-40 for fashion and 50 f/1.8 when I needed very shallow DOF. On my FF, I still use the 17-40 for dramatic wide angles, but as someone else mentioned, I now have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which almost lives on my 5D2. I agree though that the 24-105l is also oft underrated. I used that too on my 400D for fashion and tighter headshots.<br>

I haven't shot any glamour work though.</p>