next week and Im looking to get a simliar tone in my back and whites

as Eolo does in this photo:

http://www.photo.net/photo/792660

I use the same rig as he does, and I like to use xp2 400 as well. I

noted that he rates his at 200 ...anyone have any luck with that? Do

u process it normally or pull it? Also, can anyone tell me by the

photo, how I can acheive that tone?

thanks much for any advice!!

Be careful. Although he used XP2 for that image, and it came out very nicely, does not mean the same result could not have been had with a traditional B&W film, or Kodak Portra or T400CN. Don't get me wrong. I love XP2 and use it all the time (sometimes at 200 if I'm printing in the darkroom, 400 if I'm scanning). What I'm saying is just using XP2 at 200 will not just automatically give you that look and tone. It was not XP2, by virtue of being XP2, that gave that image it's tone, it was his printing or digital work that did.

I agree with Richard, it's not the rating or the film that makes eolo's pictures, but the post-processing.

Rating XP-2 200 instead of 400 will most likely make no practical difference whatsoever, maybe a litlle finer grain and a little more density. XP-2 is the most forgiving film exposure-wise that I can think of. Just for fun I shot a couple of rolls in an old rangefinder, just guessing exposure, no metering. Sunlight, overcast, night shots, there was hardly a frame that was not usable, that's how forgiving XP-2 is.

Quoting from Ilford's pdf on the subject http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/XP2SGB_QX.pdf :

"XP2 SUPER film has a speed rating of ISO 400/27° (400ASA, 27DIN, EI 400/27) to daylight. The ISO speed rating was measured using standard C41 processing. Although rated at ISO 400/27°, XP2 SUPER can be exposed over the range EI 50/18�800/30. When higher speed is needed, XP2 SUPER can be rated at up to EI 800/30. For finer grain, when speed is less important, rate the film at EI 200/24, although for

finest grain it can be rated as low as EI 50/18 if required.

The practical implications of this wide exposure range are very important. XP2 SUPER can be exposed at a setting to suit the job. The benefit of variable speed also provides security against inadvertent over- or underexposure."

When XP1 was first released I remember the quoted figures as being ASA50-3200 and it certainly came close !! Either the emulsion has changed significantly or Ilford are being more conservative with their ratings.

FWIW, I rerate chromogenic monochromes *only* when using filters. Typically I use a green filter with these films for portraits - lovely skin tones. Even tho' I'm using TTL metering I still rerate the films down to 250 or 200 simply because my completely unscientific observation tells me I get better results.

As one poster noted, ILFORD is being a little more conservative with what we say the film can do that we did with the original XP1. As far as I know, the XP2 Super will still surpass the older XP1 at any speed.

Rating this film at 200 will give you a finer less noticable grain, especially in the shadow areas. You will see little if any change in the tonality. The film should be processed in standard C-41 regardless of the exposure index used.

David Carper

ILFORD Imaging, USA

I have a contax T2 that i shoot XP2 in exclusivly.. always rated at 100, processed normal, and I love the results.. it looks a little contrasty in machine prints, depending on the actual image, the paper the lab uses and all, but in the dark room, with Zone IV Brilliant Fibre based paper, it looks amazing!

Have recently started rating this Film at 200 (where conditions allow) and the grain has reduced significantly (almost comparable with delta 100 IMO). This is especially noticeable in group shots where I find small faces are telling of the film's capabilities. Don't forget that you'll never get the even grain structure of a proper B/W film and this is pleasing to the eye compared with the more blotchy XP2 (only when it's underexposed).

It's all compromise IMO. I just keep experimenting