Will 16 GB card work with D90 ?

adam_krauss

<p>Everyone knows by now that Nikon's "recommended" card list isn't comprehensive. It's more like a random (and rather old) slack handful of cards that someone at Nikon had lying around to try when the camera first came out.</p>

<p>Nikon doesn't mention 16GB cards, only 32GB, but I suspect 16 gig cards will be fine. To be on the safe side, why not get a 32GB card? The difference in price between 16 and 32 gig is minimal these days. For HD video recording a class 6 minimum speed is recommended. For stills capture the speed's less important, and FWIW even my old Kodak Easyshare compact accepts 32 gig cards without any trouble.</p>

<p>"Keep in mind... 16G will be a LOT of photos." - Not if you shoot RAW it's not.</p>

<p>Yeah the loss of MANY pictures on one large card seems to be one of the major concerns people have. I am kind of that way with computer hard drives. I could never see myself depending on a single 3TB drive. I'd rather have three 1TB drives or two 1TB drives with two 500GB drives. Then I'd split what I want on each.<br>

<br />For your camera, depending on what you do you might consider a couple/few 8GB cards. So if ANYTHING happens to one, you have others as backup to use and you're not losing 16GB worth of everything.</p>

<p>If you're shooting a lot, you may not want to have your family BBQ, wedding gig, concert, first date, night out with friends, artistic shots and work shots all on one card.</p>

<p>I'd recommend two 8GB cards or four 4GB card or splurge for two 16GB cards.</p>

Thanks everyone for your advice. I agree with the concerns over having large capacity cards and am always worried it will

cause me to get lazy and fail to timely download to the computer, such that if the card fails, I lose a ton of images. I think I

might just stick with the idea of two additional 8gb instead of one 16gb.

<p>In regard to computer drives, as long as you always have a back up of photos and documents you create, it doesn't matter how big your drive is. (Never ever have only one copy of anything you create.) What ever size I put in my computer, I always have the exact same size drive as a backup, and clone the entire internal drive to it.</p>

<p>I also have an additional back up drive just for my photo library (giving me three copies of all my photos). In January I'm getting a retirement stipend and with some of that I'm going to put two 960GB SSD drives in my MacBook Pro 17" i7 and Raid 0 them into one 1.82TB drive, and also setup my external eSata Raid 0 box with 2TB for backup (it has two 500GB drives now Raided to 1TB). That all will be about $2000 US. I also just put in 16GB of RAM for $90 US. Obviously I'm into speed.</p>

<p>Speed certainly, security?, not so much....:-(</p>

<p>Michael, how about off-site back-up? Sounds like everything is no further than 1yard from everything else. A lightning strike or flood might do irreparable damage.</p>

<p>How about a big 3TB you back-up once a month that's kept somewhere else safe? A relative maybe? 2TB is a bit large for Cloud Storage...... :-)</p>

<p><strong><em>I also have an additional back up drive just for my photo library </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

Maybe, this one already is...??</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Everyone knows by now that Nikon's "recommended" card list isn't comprehensive. It's more like a random (and rather old) slack handful of cards that someone at Nikon had lying around to try when the camera first came out.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do'nt know about nikon USA, but Nikon Europe ( NL) updates their "compatible card list" from sometimes. you can find their current list here :<br>

<a href="https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27268">https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27268O</a><br>

Ok, it's just a few brands , agree to that.., but those are brands whitch seem to be available in most parts of the world...</p>

<p>CPM, that list on Nikon's Nederlands site seems only to be updated when a new camera model comes out.<br>

I can say with certainty that the approved card list for the D700 shown there is <em>identical</em> with the list shown in my 3 year old printed manual that came with the camera. Since then there's been a firmware update to allow the camera to use larger cards, which is not reflected in that list. The list for the D700 stops at 8 gig, while I and doubtless thousands of others have been reliably using 16 and 32 gig cards with that camera for well over 18 months now. Still with no sign of an update to Nikon's "approved card" list.</p>

<p>This may not be the case for all their camera models, but a quick glance at that list seems to indicate that mostly it is. So I stand by my claim that it's a "random slack handful of (old) cards that Nikon just happened to have lying around".</p>

<p>Memory card models are updated every one to two years. If you look for a model of memory card introduced 2 years ago, frequently you'll realize that it is already discontinued. Unfortunately, Nikon camera manuals only list a few cards Nikon has tested shortly before those manuals are printed. Frequently, by the time the camera hits the market, those "approved" memory card info is already somewhat out of date.</p>

<p>A very good example is the D800, which Nikon started shipping in late March. However, the latest 1000x Lexar CF card is not included in the manual: <a href="00aRBX">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00aRBX</a><br>

The fact of the matter is that a lot more cards beyong those "approved" by Nikon work fine. The D90 was introduced back in 2008 when SD cards were rarely over 8G, but nowadays, 64G, 128G SDXC are not unusual (but not compatible with the D90).</p>

<p>The D90 is compatible with SDHC memory cards. In fact, the only Nikon DSLR that uses SD but is not SDHC compatible is the D50, which was the first Nikon DSLR that uses SD cards. Therefore, the D90 is compatible with all SD cards up to 32G. From 64G and up, they are SDXC and not compatible with the D90.</p>

<p>Whether a sepcific card can work on the D90 is another issue. Any one card can be bad, regardless of whether its model is approved or not. As long as you stick with major brands such as Sandisk and Lexar, and you avoid counterfeits, you should rarely have a problem.</p>

<p>If you are planning to use your memory cards for a few years, at this point I would buy 16G or above. While the D90 is 12MP, today even the lowest end D3200 is already 24MP. If you get 8G cards, you may not find it all that appropriate in your next DSLR. The 256M card I bought 10 years ago can now hold 3 RAW files from the D800; it still "works" but is not practical.</p>

<p>Althou cos memory cards become so cheaper over time and the capacity increases. I would get something suitable now without going overboard, you can always get a cheaper card later, that may be faster, newer tech, larger size. Also what happens if later they use a diff format. Ie., D70 was CF and then the D90 was SD. Also a old card can go bad ..</p>

<p>Well, I just purchased a new Sandisk 16GB Extreme memory card and it definitely doesn't provide any additional memory than the Sandisk 8GB I had previously used in my camera (although it does work as an 8GB card, go figure...).<br>

I contacted Nikon Technical "Support" and was told that they have qualified the Panasonic and Toshiba 16GB card for the Nikon D90, but not the Sandisk 16GB card. <br>

By the way, the Sandisk product website recommends the 16GB card for the D90 (product number SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (SDSDRX3-016G-A21)<strong>. </strong> So, I guess Nikon is too lazy to qualify the Sandisk card.<br>

<br />I'm not happy, and I would expect better from Nikon. I wonder if they have some financial arrangement with Toshiba and Panasonic?<br /></p>

<p>OK.... I now have found out that the Sandisk 16GB card does provide the memory capacity for a 16GB card. Previously, after I installed the card with a RAW/Fine quality setting the monitor on the camera showed 352 - exactly the same as the 8GB card I just took out of the camera.<br>

<br />I just now took a few shots, and the memory suddenly changed to 704. After I formatted the memory card it now reads 706 on the monitor. So, I suppose the 16GB Sandisk memory card does work in a Nikon D90, although it's not on their list of officially supported cards.<br>

<br />I'll continue to use the card, although I'm a little suspicious that it didn't function correctly from the get-go.</p>

<p>James, after you upload any image you may have on your new Sandisk 16G card, I would format it inside the D90 first and try it. There is no reason that any functioning 16G or 32G SD card cannot work on the D90, certainly not from major brands such as Sandisk and Lexar.</p>

<p>Once again, I would completely ignore the list of Nikon approved memory cards in the D90 manual. That list was produced way back in 2008 before the D90 was announced in August 2008. By now, it is hopelessly out of date information. Since 2008, memory cards have evoloved quite a bit. There is now also a new SDXC standard for 64G and up SD cards that are not compatible with the D90.</p>

<p>Shun Cheung,<br>

<br />Thanks for your reply. I'm sure the reason that the SanDisk 16GB card didn't show the correct capacity when I first installed it in my D90 was that I failed to format the card immediately. This is something that I didn't remember was recommended whenever a new memory card is first used.</p>