Why is there no digital Nikonos?

acbeddoe

<p>Yes, it has been discussed a number of times. The industry has shifted to underwater housing for regular land-based cameras instead of high-end, special-purpose underwater cameras. For example, Nikon has their own housing for the Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras. However, there are still waterproof point-and-shoot cameras.</p>

<p>I suspect so much of the potential market is satisfied by the hi-end, waterproof-to-3-fathoms P&Ss that what is left of the market is more likely to use the housings anyhow.</p>

<p>I know the next time, if ever, I go underwater again, I'll just buy the latest waterproof pocket camera.</p>

<p>I did go so far a few times as to bid on Nikonos cameras; but fortunately, I think, someone else wanted it more than I did.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My Nikonos has four wheels, two at the body, two at the lens, and the shutter release button. My D700 (lens aside), has about two dozen buttons/switchs, too much for an underwater thing; better to have them on a spare box than built-in on an underwater camera body.<br /> <br /> Also, a dedicated UW system will always have a limited number of accessories, lenses, etc., and for a small market segment... It`s way easier to made low cost plastic boxes, and to sold them like made in platinum. There so many that can be used with almost any lens and any camera model.</p>

<p>And what JDM says... now we have lots of "good" UW point&shots, that are way cheaper and get outdated in a short time, so more likely a leaked one will never go to a repair shop.</p>

Charles, Nikon discontinued the Nikonos 35 mm film line in 2003. Now housings are the thing for DSLRs. The comments about the

plastic housings for point and shoots are spot on. I have a Nikon D2X and Aquatica housing that together were worth well over $8000

brand new and are now worth $1100 on a good day. If you are a serious shooter get a housing for the D7100 when it comes. If not get a

Canon point and shoot and buy the dedicated housing made by Canon. I am currently torn between buying a housing for my D800e or

my D3s. If I get the latter I would eventually buy a used D3x since the D3s and D3x use the same housing. Big bucks to replace the D2x

housing. Check out wet pixel.com for the skinny on underwater photography. Good hunting. Andy

<p>The ease of video shooting and the benefits of smaller housings mean that the underwater DSLR market is always going to be very small compared with competent housings from the sports camera market. For anything at significant depth, external lighting is already necessary, which partly removes one objection to small sensors. It's much easier and cheaper to make a (say) 60m housing for something the size of a GoPro than something the size of a D800 - and I doubt the GoPro has a large hollow space in the middle that needs to be kept at atmospheric pressure (actually, I'm only guessing that a DSLR might have pressure problems - I wonder what a D800 with nitrogen narcosis looks like? It would explain the left focus issue...)<br />

<br />

Flood a film Nikonos and it'll probably work again once it's dried out (and you've cleaned it). Flood a DSLR and... good luck. I'd far rather risk a GoPro (or a waterproof P&S that <i>can't</i> go to 60m) than a DSLR and big lens. There are times when a DSLR is the right choice and, even underwater, gets the right image (I believe all the underwater images in this year's Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year used DSLRs with housings), but it's certainly not a mass-market solution any more. In as much as Nikonos ever was.</p>

<p>Well, it's not a Nikonos by any stretch, but, there's the Nikon AW100. I have one, it's a handy little camera and it takes pretty darned good video too. It's rated down to 30' (I'm pretty sure) which, as most divers know, is where a lot of the fish and the best light are to be found. I picked one up used for about $150.</p>

<p>Ooh. Actually, I'd missed the AW200 (and AW110). Rating to 10m is pretty borderline for scuba (I believe you're supposed to stay well clear of the limit because of movement producing temporary pressure increases), but 20m might actually be useful. I'll bear it in mind if my wife wants something to complement her GoPro (60m rated). She's starting to get into underwater photography and asking me questions about camera controls, so something with zoom might be tempting.</p>

<p>As I understand, the Nikonos was the camera to have for years but as states above, digital cams an housings have quickly taken over. You can spent a lot or a little. While it woul dbe nice to hvae a "super AW" rated to 200 ft with capability of external flash, I doubt it would sell. So far in my experience (housing for the Canon G12, D7000, Olympus XZ-1, GoPro and AW100) that all have their downsides and upsides. I would suggest if you snorkel, something like the AW-100/110 is more than sufficient. If you are serious about underwater photography, be ready to spent some serious $.</p>

<p>Yes, underwater photography get's expensive in a hurry, especially if you want to use a DSLR. There are lower cost alternatives that will get you down to 100' or so, namely point and shoots with OEM housings.<br>

Cannon has several, Olympus too, and there are others. I have an Olympus C-5050 that I use with an Olympus housing and an Ikelite sync'd strobe, I think the whole setup was around $1,500 new (camera, housing, tray, strobe, and Ikon WA lens) and even today many say that the C-5050 was/is one of the best underwater digital P&S's.<br>

I'm very intrigued by the AW200, will wait to see pricing and reviews.</p>

<p>Whatever the current state of technology is with under-water capable cameras is today, or will be tomorrow, the Nikonos is a name which deserves to be revived. It needs no introduction, comes with a long and adventurous history and is pleasurable to simply say aloud.<br>

Note that all the UW P&S cameras record only JPEG, which is inexplicable, really. I had a Panasonic TS-2 and enjoyed shooting with it very much, but gave it away for want of a RAW capable camera. If a Nikonos were to be made which shot in RAW, well I have no doubt that it would sell very well. Come on Nikon, wake up!</p>

• 8 months later...