Which Leica M6 viewfinder for 28mm, 35mm and 50mm

<p>Ok, I'm sorry if this question has been repeated a lot, but I'm pretty confused and everywhere I read different answers.</p>

<p>I don't wear glasses. I want to buy a Leica M6 and I will use it only with 28mm, 35mm and 50mm lenses.</p>

<p>I think my answer should be the .58 finder, or not??</p>

<p>I read that with a 50mm is very hard to focus with the .58 finder. </p>

<p>What do you think? .58 or .72?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot,</p>

<p>Francesco</p>

<p>Francesco:<br>

For me, the .72 magnification works well for each of these focal lengths and I wear glasses. The 28mm frameline is quite near the edge of the viewfinder so you may need to move the camera around a bit to make sure the framelines are where you want them. It's possible that the .58 finder may be best for you but I can't say with any degree of confidence based on experience. I mainly used the 35mm Summicron and the 50mm Summilux with my M6. Currently, I don't have a 28mm lens but I hope to change that soon.<br>

Robert</p>

<p>I have always chosen the 0.72 for my Leicas, but I suggest you try to see a dealer or local owner (photography club) and try the 0.58 and the 0.72 and see what works for you. Different people see things differently.</p>

For some reason I didn't see this thread and posted my reply in the duplicate one. Here it goes again.

I have two Leica M6TTL bodies and use all those lenses with them. The best magnification is 0.72. You may find that 0.58 is a bit hard for the 50mm framelines, and it also cuts you out of any opportunity to use long lenses with it. Besides, any VF magnification other than 0.72 may have been added to relatively few cameras, which makes them more expensive.

Hence, 0.72 is your ticket. Have fun shopping!

<blockquote>

<p><br />Either one will work, but I think the 0.58 is great.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1 <br>

I had both and the .58 works better with the 35 and 28mm. I wear glasses. The .58 also is much more scarce, I think, so it will cost you a few hundreds more... </p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right, they both suck! Especially, because there is no switch to toggle between the two!<br>

I got both and would never think of using my 28n on the .72x, never. The then new 2/28 was basically the reason for Leica to 'invent' the .58x bodies.<br>

The opto-mechanical accuracy of the 0.58 as camera is certainly sufficient for a 1.4/50 as it is sufficient for a 2/90 which I use on that camera regularly.<br>

Just don't move your upper body after focussing, as we are talking inches and half inches here!<br>

Any noctilux/camera combo should be sent in for calibration. Period.<br>

sidetracking on/<br>

*Reliable results* at 1.0/0.95 handheld are just impossible with people who don't know how to pose still like pro models do. Also, a lot of self-declared Nocti experts and 'long time shooters' are bluntly unaware of the impossibilty of reframing a Nocti-at 1.0-shot after focussing (Hassi has tackled that problem, electronically). So I used a motor and a monopod on that day I rented the Nocti. Considering the weight of the combo, the monopod made sense in two ways!<br>

sidetracking off/<br>

If you happen to drift into shooting much moving subjects with 50/90 then get youself the finder magnifier. Works great, just don't loose it...<br>

Wait for a 0.58 and pay those 100USD or so extra, it's very much worth it for your 28/35s.<br>

Also: if you ever use a 24/25 on that camera, the entire visible area works quite alright as 'emergency finder' in case of a fast-moving situation which may not allow the switch to the auxiliary finder - or when using flash.<br>

Plus the focussing patch in a 0.58x flares/goes white less often than in 0.72x.<br>

Just a little math to round it out: the 50 frame in a 0.58 feels as big as the 75 frame in a 0.72. Now, where's the problem? Anybody ever complained about it being too small?<br>

Ahm, one more: when shooting with 35mm+0.58x camera you 'loose' the 135 frames: you get that beautifully uncluttered, M2/4-like 35mm frame back!<br>

Buy the 0.58 plus bulk roll film supplies lasting for two years and forget all photo forums till you've shot it all!<br>

Cheers, Pete</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am using already for years with sucess the Elmarit 2,8/28mm on my M7 0,58 which is very nice.<br>

For the Summicron 2,0/50mm and even for my Summarit 2,5/75mm it's still very good. Going to 90mm you have to make the 0,72 choice but then in combination with a 35mm lens.</p>

<p>Greetz,</p>

<p>Robert</p>

<p>Either will work just fine! Eventually you'll wind up with all three viewfinder magnifications on three bodies, so the question will be moot at that point. I prefer the .85 for my Noctilux and the .58 for the 28mm. If I'm using the 35 lux, I like to use my Voightlander optical viewfinder in the accessory shoe, especially on the .85 body. Same for the 28mm lens, as I have the newer black plastic (now discontinued) optical viewfinder. </p>

<p>If I was only going to use 28-35-50 and only on one body, it would be a .58 and I'd buy the 1.25 magnifyer eyepiece to screw-into the viewfinder when using the 50mm. I'd do it this way because I wear eyeglasses.</p>