Which Glue for Peeling Camera Leather Covering?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Vincent Peri, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

I have a camera body that has a bit of leather peeling loose. What type/brand of glue should I use to hold the leather down?

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. I normally use an ordinary impact or contact adhesive like Uhu - if that's what it's called in your neck of the woods.

3. Vincent Peri

I found a contact adhesive by Weldwood at a local home improvement store. Does anyone know anything about Weldwood?

4. The Weldwood works best if a thin coat is applied to both the body and the leather face. Allow about 5 minutes to lapse and then mate the two surfaces. A few of my FSU collection pieces are doing very good after +5 years of putting the various edges down. Aloha, Bill

5. Vincent Peri

Thanks for the testimonial, Bill. Looks like I'll be using Weldwood on my camera.

Hmm... 10 to 1 Vincent glues
    himself to the camera...
    [​IMG]

6. Do be aware that once contact cements "contact" they are pretty well fixed. Camera Leather (LINK) seems to be on "hold" but they had a useful guide to how to avoid misalignments"
    Cameraleather-application guide 1_Page_1.jpg

Cameraleather-application guide 1_Page_2.jpg

7. SCL

SCL

Over the years I've used a variety of contact cements, with generally good success. Pliobond seems to work well, but it has a residual strong odor which lasts for a few weeks.

8. Ok Vincent, I'm going to give you the cold hard truth. In my experience, there is NO way to securely reattach the camera "leather" once it starts to peel off. The only solution I've found is to get a replacement cover from manufacturer, hopefully with the sticky stuff already on the back.

9. Gorilla glue.

10. Vincent Peri

I'm having slight trouble with a Nikon FA. Nikon doesn't make those replacement covers any more. I'll just stick to using contact adhesive.

Sanford likes this.
  11. Only slight trouble?
    You're very lucky!

Industrial double-sided tape or sheet works well. It appears to be what was used on many later model film cameras.

I've used it a few times, and it has at least a 5 year 'life' with moderate use. It has the advantage of being relatively easy to detach and renew without distorting the covering material.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  12. Use a contact cement. Just make sure you don't put too much on. Just a thin coat on both surfaces. Let it dry for about 5-10 minutes and then press together. Make sure you have everything lined up because once you press it together it will be very hard to move. I would NOT use Gorilla Glue. It is water activated and as it cures it expands. You could end up with a real mess.