Which freeware deals with CR2 RAW files?

Jochen_S

I recently got a 5D IV and am wondering what software I should recommend to folks on whom I am ditching my files. The usual suspects like Picasa or elderly Lightroom don't support the RAW format. - What besides Rawtherapee does?

I mean those situations where I am asked to shoot something (and fine with that) but really not eager to go through post processing of everything. - "Delivering photos" would mean post processed JPEGs but wasn't what I am talking about. - Others run better hardware than me right now, so I happily let them edit to their taste.

I am not a lawyer but I suspect that giving them a copy of DPP would violate the licence agreement. But since you already have DPP and the right to use it, how about using DPP yourself to produce (say) 16-bit TIFFs for them? DPP can do batch conversions so you don't need to sit there doing each one individually. If you're confident that you everything right in camera, you don't even need to do any adjustments - the camera records its settings (picture style etc.) in each file and DPP can use each picture's in-camera settings. Or if some need adjustments, DPP also has an easy way of copying the settings (white balance etc.) from one file to as many others as you like, so if there are several photos that all need the same settings (e.g. if they're shot under controlled circumstances), you only need to get the settings right on one. The recipient can then open the high-bit-depth lossless TIFFs in their choice of photo editor.

Thanks for all the replies. I share Steve's worries about spreading DPP. - Handing out unaltered TIFF16s has 2 drawbacks: I'd either have to travel with my PC or face the challenge of transmitting a whole lot of data generated by a leaden trigger finger via sluggish connection and tiny Dropbox. Plugging a CF reader into others' devices seems easier and more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...