which flash for nikon d50

heather_aragon

<p>I have a nikon d50 and i was told i need a flash, im attempting to take my own kids pics. which flash will work?? i dont have a ton of money to spend so for now i need something that will work until i get get a really really nice one.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Well, the SB400 is inexpensive and works quite well with the digital Nikons in auto. Its feature set is more limited than the SB600 - no wireless mode (but the D50 doesn't have wireless master anyway) and the head only rotates up, not sideways, so you can only bounce in one direction, but in its favor it's very small and inexpensive making it a good "starter".</p>

<p>The D50 is Nikon iTTL flash compatible. See our Nikon iTTL Flash Guide for more details, probably more details than you need: <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/guide-to-ttl-flashes/</a></p>

<p>Essentially you want a Nikon flash with triple-digit SB-n00 type model number. If you are a casual photographer, the simple SB-400 can get the job done. It has some limitations such as weaker flash power and not tilting in the vertical orientation, but it is quite affordable.</p>

<p>If you have the budget, get the SB-600. Not only will it allow you to do nicer-looking, softer bounced flash even when you have the camera in a vertical/portrait orientation, but it will be a more flexible unit for you down the road should you end up upgrading that older D50 to a newer body that can be a CLS commander with the SB-600 as a slave. And in the meantime, while the flash will be only on the D50's hot shoe, you'll be far more able to throw light in more appealing directions (say, off of a piece of foam core as a reflector, etc) than you could with the SB-400. All depends when you can afford, of course, and where you see yourself headed.</p>

<p>Yes, the SB600 works very well but another alternative is a Nissin Di622. It has all the capabilities + will fire as a remote and has the Gn of an SB800. I've used Nissin products for 2 decades without a hitch alongside the Nikon stuff. The Di622 can be had for about $200.</p>