Which are Canon's sharpest EOS lenses?

dan_south

<p>Speaking in general, there is a lot more to a lens than how sharp it is. Lots of lens are sharp, and that is all they are. Your question is to general. Don't you have a lens in mind, a zoom, or telephoto, or wide, or fisheye, or fixed fast lens. The lens is selected to suit the conditions of the shoot and the desired effect that the artist may have. At the very least you don't take a 400mm lens to shoot landscapes, nor a fisheye to shoot most sporting events. I think you could get a better response if you were to give some idea of what you plan to do with a lens, or what type of lens you are looking for. The majority of lens are at least sharp, but there is so much more to a lens. </p>

<p>I realize that my question is open-ended. I'm sorry if that decision is annoying to anyone, but I didn't want to color the responses by citing specific models for comparison or specifying a certain application/type of shooting. I just want to sample the community's thoughts on the topic. (For my own benefit, only.)</p>

<p>I will say that I find it interesting that the early responses have avoided most zoom lenses and tend toward the long end. Is the 90mm TCE lens really sharper than the new 17 and 24 mm models? Is the 90 mm macro lens sharper than a shorter macro? Please keep your evaluations coming!</p>

<p>"In General"</p>

<p>Prime lenses will be much sharper than zooms.</p>

<p>"L" series lenses will give you sharper results than the others.</p>

<p>So, once you narrow it down the the focal range areas you need. Then look at the MTF charts for those lenses. It's a quick way to confirm if the lens is good or not.</p>

<p>My experience has been that most good L series glass (zooms and primes) plus non-l primes are very sharp when used optimally. Put it on a tripod at f/8 or f/11 and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Even then you'd be looking at corner sharpness and color rendition, etc.</p>

<p>To me, sharpness is more about functional sharpness - what does a lens look like when shot at f/2.8 or f/2, when you can get just enough shutter speed to be handholdable? What does the rendition look like? Is it contrasty with good color plus being sharp, or is it lower contrast but still sharp? Sometimes it's the rendition that gives the perception of sharpness - more than just resolving power.</p>

<p>From my experience, the 35L, 85L and 135L are exceptional at creating this perceived sharpness. The longer fast L primes do the same thing. A lot of other lenses are scary sharp in optimal conditions, but maybe do not have the same wide open "oomph" that longer/fast L primes do.</p>

<p>I find this whole sharpness thing a little to overblown when it comes to lens selection. I have taken razor sharp photos with a p/s and blurry ones with a 5D2 and L lens. Is it just me? Over the years I have owned many lenses and I have not had one yet that was not sharp when used correctly. Using it correctly is the hard part. </p>

<p>IMO and from my experience there are definitely huge differences in lens sharpness, as well as the other factors that define quality from a lens - color, contrast, separation of planes, bokeh, control of flare, ca, vignetting, etc. Obviously not as much between one top notch lens to the next, but from a top notch to a crappy cheap lens, the difference is enormous - sharpness, color, flare, ca, bokeh, contrast, everything.</p>

<p>Brett my point exactly. Color, contrast etc was not part of the OP and is probably much more important or at least as important, but most questions all seem to center around sharpness alone when it comes to choosing a lens. Maybe I am exaggerating a bit but just trying to make a point. </p>