What's wrong with Photo.net now?

jimadams

<p>I was trying to view some of my own photographs, and where the photo should be is just a blank box with what looks like a hyperlink in the upper left corner. The comments and other stuff are all on the page, but the photo is not. I've attached a screenshot.</p>

<p>This has happened today when trying to look at other photographers' photos, too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="../photo/12741413">Here's a direct link</a>. I'm having the same problem when I try to view it. But it seems to be limited to Jim's portfolio. I can view others just fine. This happen a few weeks ago while i was checking out someone else' photos, the next day it was fine. It seems to be related to Firefox. Because when I visit the page with IE it works just fine, but not with Firefox.</p>

<p>Nope, didn't do anything except close the tab. And when I got the new comment notification I opened this page and clicked on the link in my first post.<br>

When it wasn't working, it was as if it was just taking forever to load. The "downloading indicator" (no idea what the little whirly thing is called that is active until the page has fully loaded) didn't disappear, even after a minute.</p>

<p>Well, as of today, the problem still exists for me, and I'm not having this problem on any other photo sharing/portfolio site that I use.</p>

<p>I see stuff in the status bar like, "waiting for thumbs.photo.net" (or something like that) or "transferring data from face book". Why do I have to wait on Face Book?</p>

<p>I didn't start having this problem on this site until a day or so ago. I'm using Firefox...whatever the latest version is.</p>

<p>One challenge may be that our main tech guru, Jin, has been without power due to hurricane/superstorm Sandy.</p>

<p>The only significant delay I'm experiencing is in the workspace access. It takes several page refreshes (CTRL F5, for Windows PC users) to load the workspace.</p>

<p>I'm not seeing any significant delays in photo displays on our portfolios - my own or other members'. It's possible local or regional delays may be DNS problems or some or factors. Occasionally when I experience significant delays online in general, I reset my DSL modem and this clears up the problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Occasionally when I experience significant delays online in general, I reset my DSL modem and this clears up the problem."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lex, thanks for your input and suggestion. I'm not experiencing a "delay" in photo displays...I'm experiencing a total lack of photo visibility. The only thing in the space where the photo should be is the actual title of the photo up in the left hand corner of an empty box. If you look at my original screenshot, you'll see what I mean. Thanks, again.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm experiencing the problem again as well. But it does seem to be an issue of download speed for images. Even thumbnails are showing up late. And certain images won't load at all. It seem to come and go though.</p>

<p>Jim, when using Firefox I'm noticing a slight delay in some photos in your portfolio, while others appear quickly. I'm seeing no delay at all using Chrome.</p>

<p>If the photo doesn't appear after a few seconds try pressing CTRL F5 to refresh the screen. That worked when I tried viewing several random photos in your portfolio.</p>

<p>Also, clicking the "view image" option from Firefox opened up the balky photos immediately. Clicking the back button then showed the photos in the context of the portfolio pages.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Also, clicking the "view image" option from Firefox opened up the balky photos immediately. Clicking the back button then showed the photos in the context of the portfolio pages."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lex, thanks for that. It works. But still, we (I) shouldn't have to be jumping through those extra hoops to view photos...especially our own.</p>

<p>I just downloaded a photo to a folder in my gallery and got the same result as Jim Adams' original screenshot, everything but the photo. However once I right clicked and selected "show picture" it came up.</p>

<p>I started having problems when the "New downloader" was put into place a week or so ago. (Edit: It has been since Mid-October, so more than a week now.) <br>

And I agree with Jim about having to jump through extra hoops these days to download and view photos. It's getting very frustrating.</p>

<p>As I mentioned before, our tech guru's area was without power due to hurricane/superstorm Sandy. </p>

<p>Beyond that I'm not sure how much of this may be due to those storm related power outages. I'm not experiencing significant delays in my area (Texas) beyond the few seconds it took for some - but not all - photos to appear using Firefox.</p>

<p>And, using Chrome, I'm seeing no delays in viewing the portfolio photos (thumbs and full display versions) for anyone in this thread, including Jim Johnson's most recently uploaded photo. Not sure why that is but Chrome is noticeably quicker than Firefox on photo.net this year.</p>

<p>If you run a traceroute from your area you may be able to pinpoint the bottlenecks.</p>

<p>Jim, are you on a wireless network? </p>

<p>I remember experiencing a similar problem a few months ago, turned out to be my overheating router slowing the traffic rate. Switched out the router with a new one and the problem went away. </p>

<p>If you are on a wireless network, try a direct cable connection or a cable-connected computer. It might well be the problem. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I remember experiencing a similar problem a few months ago, turned out to be my overheating router slowing the traffic rate."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Same thing happened to me earlier this year when I tried to save space by setting my WiFi modem on its side. The vents were facing sideways and weren't keeping the modem cool enough. Darned thing runs much hotter than my old hardwired DSL modem and wants to be upright with the vents upward. We also have three wireless devices now, whereas earlier this year there was only one, an older Kindle.</p>