What's with these "Passed" stickers?

As many of you know, I am acquiring cameras 30 and 40 years old. Many of them still have those "Passed" stickers

on them. Nice to know that they passed, but I find it amazing that in all these years the stickers have never

been removed. I've seen them, in fairly good shape, on cameras that are otherwise dinged, scratched, abraded,

dirty, and with peeling coverings and missing parts.

(When I clean up the camera, I take off the sticker. Never cleans up 100%, however. That oval discoloration is

permanent.)

Even that mystery camera I posted yesterday had one! ;-)

OK, now a serious question, or really two:

1. What year did this start?

2. What year did it end?

--Marc

<p>The stickers are from the JCII or Japan Camera Inspection Institute. Japanese manufacturers were eager to learn quality control techniques from Deming and others. It was considered undesirable to have cameras equipment with obvious defects get exported. The stickers are still on some of my old cameras, lenses and flash units. Someone else here may know the years in which the stickers were used.</p>

<p>Hi Marc, I researched this not long ago, and the consensus seems to be they were a way for the Japanese to enhance the perception of quality of their cameras (I think other electronics too). Apparently many were faked, meaning many simply got slapped with a sticker, even though they never went through the institute that was supposed to certify and approve them, and even the institute itself didn't really do a thorough job.</p>

<p>I found one link showing rolls of these little stickers that some American importers were slapping on everything. It was pretty funny. Apparently the program worked, because people sure bought a lot of Japanese cameras. I recall, when I was a kid, that people said you were supposed to leave them on the camera for some reason. I think that's why so many are still there. Others felt it proved the value of the camera, and left them on like some badge of quality. It's an interesting history, though not all sources agree.</p>

<p>Some sources thought it started after WWII ended, and really got going in the 50s. It ended in the early 80's when quality simply wasn't an issue any more. I think someone ought to make replacement stickers so you could at least remove the ugly ones and put a new one on over the mark they left.</p>

<p>Well, they're typically on Japanese cameras, although copies of them were made by some other countries on occasion (see below for a Taiwanese version on a TIME camera). They relate to an issue raised by somebody the other day who said they'd never heard anybody mention "cheap Japanese stuff". Well, immediately after WWII, Japanese imports into the US consisted of cheap tin and plastic toys. When the Japanese began to enter the American market with more "prestige" goods, they thought it well to assure people of quality control. They founded the JCII (<a href="http://www.jcii-cameramuseum.jp/top_e.html">link</a> ) in 1954. You will probably find their historical section of interest (<a href="http://www.jcii-cameramuseum.jp/museum/historicalc_e/index_e.html">link</a> ). Also see prior discussion at (<a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00HaVO">link</a> ) on P.net.</p>

<p>By the way, unless they're pretty battered, I'd suggest leaving them on the camera. That's how they were sold, after all, and if it leaves a mark after being removed, I'd put it back for sure.</p><div>00UtlD-185897684.jpg.c7461f7cc72e1ccc1e539536142189e8.jpg</div>

<p>The Japan Camera Inspection Institute started around 1954 because the reputation of the Japanese products was pretty poor. While there were obvious quality products like the Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc, many of the cheap cameras were helping emphasize the "Made in Japan" stereotype.</p>

<p>The JCII tested samples and if they passed their set standards the line was given the gold sticker. In the early 80's (I think) this was phased out because it became unnecessary since by then the Japanese camera quality became the standard of the industry.</p>

<p>There were also some gold stickers that said "inspected" and "approved". I know that some of these were from other asian countries and attempted to fool customers. Also, I think that when the Japanese industry started to farm out work to other countries (Pentax K1000 in Taiwan for instance) they got the "Approved" sticker.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(When I clean up the camera, I take off the sticker. Never cleans up 100%, however. That oval discoloration is permanent.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Removal of the sticker reduces the eBay value of the camera or lens by at least 50%. It is also highly illegal (same as removing those tags that come on mattresses and sofa cushions).</p>

<p>I thought is was only illegal for the vendor to remove the tags from mattresses not the consumer. That's good to know.</p>

<p>As far as the camera stickers, if they are in at least decent shape I would leave them in place for collector reasons. Most people want a collector camera as complete as possible.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is also highly illegal</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The sticker police are gonna come getcha?</p>

<p>If I remember correctly, a company could not export the camera without the sticker so they couldn't be removed prior to a sale. Once the sale occurred, the export issue was over.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think they look horrible so I take them off. And that is in no way illegal. It's my camera, I will do what I like with it!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well Steve, you do whatever you want to do, but you've got to ask yourself one question, "do I feel lucky"?</p>

If the eBay value has been reduced by 50%, I feel like an idiot. That camera I bought for $10 now is worth only $5. ;-)

Actually, my question isn't about what the stickers mean so much as why they are still on the camera after 40 years when the camera has clearly not been well cared for. But, it was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

Despite some advice to the contrary, I will continue to take them off. Nothing looks worse on an otherwise cleaned-up camera than a worn, torn, gummy sticker in a prominent place. Sometimes the sticker is gone, but the gummy residue is still there. That cleans up pretty easily, although, as I said, the chrome is often a bit discolored even after.

--Marc

<p>I'm going to make some really convincing stickers and put them on cameras to sell on ebay. If removing them devalues them by 50% then putting one on increases value by 100%!<br>

I'll be rich!<br>

And if you can be arrested for removing them, then putting them on will make me a hero!<br>

I wonder how much more they'll be worth if I put on two stickers...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just be glad you didn't get one that says "Failed."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What an idea. Little red JCII (Joseph's Camera Inspection Institute) "Failed" stickers. Get Holgas or Lomos in wholesale lots, verify that each has a light leak, and sticker it. Those shooters would pay a few bucks extra for a "certified failed" camera.</p>

<p>Or, on a collectible Japanses camera, a "failed" sticker might indicate rarity. Coin collectors lap up mint "errors", like the famous 3 legged buffalo nickle.</p>

<p>You know, we're laughing and joking around about these stickers. The guy who came up with the idea and then sold them to the various camera and electronics companies in Japan was probably laughing all the way to the bank!</p>

<p>If the sticker is in good shape I would probably be inclined to leave it on since this is the way the camera or lens left the factory. If it's looking pretty shoddy, then remove it if it bothers you. I have found the easiest way to remove any gummy residue off a piece of equipment is to spray some WD-40 on a tissue and gently wipe away the residue. Then use a clean tissue to remove any excess WD-40.</p>

<p>The governments made the manufacturers stop putting these stickers on cameras years ago because the glue is a powerful psychedelic similar to LSD. Photographers were licking the glue off and experiencing an altered reality, leading to hallucinations and strong cravings for little tiny cameras with slow zooms and tiny sensors. My cat licked the label off a Canon AE-1 and has never been the same since. Now all she does is eat, sleep, and crowd us out of the bed at night. Come to think of it, maybe that's all she ever did. Never mind.</p><div>00UtwR-186031584.jpg.d10cffde0afe22b56a8c4207e45049ef.jpg</div>

<p>Interestingly, on some cameras some of the stickers can be used (possibly) to track down manufacture date. Mamiya for instance had two different stickers on their TLR's that combined can be used to figure out when the camera was built. This isn't the gold oval sticker, but different ones. Ever since I read about that I stopped pulling the stickers off... also the sticky spot on the camera that collects dirt is less attractive than the gold sticker.</p>