What's up with the "D3 Buffer Memory Expansion Service"?

garrison_k.

"...D3 users don't like the idea.... "

Well Rene' the people who complain may not be the same people who actually need the larger buffer or even may not have a D3^^ Fast electronics cost more than slow electronics. Faster electronics is developed while a given camera is on the market. I do not need the upgrade but appreciate that Nikon tries to keep the D3 up to date.

Have you ever add memory to your computer? It is the equivalent of that for the D3.

Hopefully it can be done quickly for the sports photographers who will be shooting the Olympics; it can be helpful to them:

http://support.nikontech.com/faqid=15997

From the very beginning, I felt that the D3's memory buffer is on the shallow side for a dedicated sports/action DSLR. But since plenty of people bought the D3 for its FX sensor rather than its action capabilities, not every user needs a deeper buffer.

My guess is that Nikon has developed a larger buffer for some up-coming DSLR that is very compatible with the current D3 so that they are offering this option to the D3. Most likely, when the pre-Photokina proudct announcements are out, it'll be clear that why this buffer upgrade is now available.

BTW, the memory upgrade is for the D3 only. It is currently not an option for the D700 or D300.

I find it humorous (and somewhat sad) that most of the people complaining about this don't have a D3 and probably will never own a D3.

Do I need to upgrade to this faster buffer? No. Am I going to piss and moan about the price? No

Will I upgrade - maybe during the slower winter months when the wedding calendar is not so full.

I'm at a loss. Will $500.00 make a better image....?

Please see

http://www.photo.net/photo/7615076

Nikon is doing something better and better. Nikon Capture NX that 'came' with the D3 is now 'improved' with the release of Nikon Capture NX2. The D3 body is now 'improved' for a little extra cash. A great business plan for making additional income.

<b>"I'm at a loss. Will $500.00 make a better image....?"</b>

<p>

It will allow you to take more consecutive images in a high speed burst that otherwise you would have been unable to capture. An image that IS captured is certainly "better" than the missed shot!

<p>

So yes indeed it may indeed allow you to make a "better" image in certain situations.

A memory module in a camera is not like your computer, where those little sticks are made by the 100,000 quantities. How many memory modules do you think Nikon made? How much did it cost them to develop, test and build hardware for a limited run? For an embedded system like the D3, a 10% cost to upgrade the unit to the customer likely offsets the development to be vaguely profitable. I'd be shocked if it were less than a 30 minute upgrade, test, verification and get the unit back out the door.

I have a D3 and would love the buffer extension. At 9fps it does not take long to fill it up.

However.....the parts (the modification requires the fitting of a new DG board and other

minor components plus external grips) are apparently only available on special order in New Zealand and the cost is the

equivalent of US$990 rather than US$500!!

If you want to discuss gouging, how's that?! A 100% increase just because you live in NZ!!