Whats a good Budget Telephoto Lens for Airshows?

anthony_w.

The EFS 55-250mm (in various versions) is considered a good budget telephoto zoom lens, so if you are not getting good results with it, perhaps you need to review your technique before looking for a replacement. Blurry photos are usually a result of too slow a shutter speed and/or miss focus, both of which is more critical in using a long lens than your standard (18-55mm) zoom. It would help if you posted examples of your results and also what specific version of this lens you are using (USM/STM ect).
  • Like 2

How 'budget'?

Sigma's 70-300mm 'Apo' telezoom punches well above its modest price in terms of image quality. (Note: not the non-apo version. The apo lens has a red ring on the front of the barrel.)

Downside. It has no image stabilisation, and build quality is poor.

Slightly less budget, but still a bargain, is Tamron's SP VC 70-300 mm zoom.

Downside. Image quality falls off at minimum focussing distance, but that shouldn't be an issue for air shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony, the autofocusing system on your EOS 1200D is more than what you need in terms of af requirements for air shows. Airplanes do not stress af systems that much. Any cross-type af-sensor system would do. I would even say, that it is still one area where ”ancient” af systems would still hold their own against modern cameras.

I agree that with pre-focusing, you could even use manual focus.

Birds however are a completely different subject...

I am with Ken and Gary; give us more insight to your settings.

• Like 1

I fear it does not exist?

I own 2 copies (2nd came bundled with a desirable used Pentax) of the Sigma Apo mentioned by [uSER=2403817]@rodeo_joe|1[/uSER] and am not happy with the delivered IQ.

Like everybody else I suggest sharing some of your questionable images for analysis. Or at least try to figure out if your AF or the lens itself are to blame on some static subjects.

Is the focal length range right for you or too short? If the latter is the case, I would ponder getting a Tamron 150-600. The more affordable version of it currently floating around (800€) is of course the worst in the crop, compared to Sigma 150-600 having a good day and both are less attractive than cropping from the long end of a Canon 100-400, according to reviews.

• Long distance telephoto shots suffer from haze in the air and distortions caused by warm air.
  • Telephoto lenses are demanding on your AF (or focusing in general) - I read the 55-250 suffers from a comparably slow AF motor and spoiled reviewers seem ranting about the entry level SLR focusing systems

If you look at DxOmark your lens doesn't earn a fantastic sharpness rating (2nd link) , so either you have those planes flying by close enough to fill your frame or its time to get another bad lens with more reach.

One of my co-workers was into plane spotting and tried my manual focus cheapos (Mamiya 400/6.3, 300mm Tair and a 1000/11 Cassegrain on his 40D. - I haven't seen results, but he wasn't happy and decided to rather stick to his zoom.

My personal conclusion: Affordable super telephoto lenses and crop sensors don't play well together. If that stuff is all you can afford and closing up further is an option I'd ponder upgrading to a used 6D or similar but yes, even that is a comparably big investment.

I agree with some of the others, if your photos are "blurry" it might be too low shutter speed

years ago I used a 55-250 with good results although some air show shots require a longer focal length

budget? maybe look at a Sigma 150-600 "C" or a used original Canon 100-400

28405326138_828cbb3e1d_c.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the above posts, I am surprised nobody suggested the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM.

Of course, someone already owning the 55-250mm would not be justified to go that way, but someone in the market for such a telephoto zoom should consider it seriously.

I bought it last spring, and I am very happy with it. It confired all the reviews I read.

Moreover, it is an EF zoom, so you’re not limited to EF-S bodies.

• Like 1

Any ideas for a good Budget Telephoto lens for Airshows etc? I have a EF-S55-250mm add on lens but it does not give good results which are blury.

I have a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR

Jared (Fro Knows Photo) did a video review of the SIGMA 150-600mm C actually shooting an air show.

Cheers, Mark

Any ideas for a good Budget Telephoto lens for Airshows etc? I have a EF-S55-250mm add on lens but it does not give good results which are blury.

I have a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR

I have Tamron for sale it is good,

Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for Canon $310