What percentage to charge as a deposit for weddings?

Hello,

I'm new to the business and have recently establish my website

www.reddoorphotography.net, and list of prices with 4 diferent packages, and

would like to know what percentage is right to ask for as a deposit to book a

wedding 25%, 33.3% or 50%, what is the standard in the industry?

I thank you in advance for your comments.

Pachy.

I think it varies from photographer to photographer. Personally, mine is about 10%, balance 30 days before the wedding. For my most common package, that's $250. Most couples are young and suddenly have a ton of expenses, so 50% seems steep to me. I make it enough that they don't want to just walk away from it if something happens.

Sam

"Beware of using the "deposit" word, it may give the impression that it is refundable if they change their minds."

This is probably the 25th response to this urban legend but it is still needed.

Yes, you should have a hold the date type of retainer clause instead of a simple advance payment type of deposit. Do not assume, however, that merely calling the payment a retainer is going to help. If the wording in the contract does not set up the payment to be to hold the date open and be non-refundable in the wedding does not go forward, it will not matter what you call the payment. You can call that part of the contract the "Funky Banana Split Clause" and the result is the same. The wording within either sets it up as a non refundable payment for keeping the date or it doesn't. If the arrangement is set up right in the contract, you are safe. If not, you are not safe. Don't get hung up on the label.

Do yourself a gigantic favor Pachy and get an actual lawyer to go over the contract you want to use and explain what it is you want to it to accomplish with it. Also research more about things you may want it to cover before submitting it for review. Assume our comments are inaccurate and unreliable on this stuff. Trust me, a ton of it is even when it sounds authorative.

Thank you all for your response.

I have 10 day cancellation clause in my contract and if I do not receive a written notice within those 10 days, the money is not refundable.

The contract refers to the initial payment as "retainer" I think this is the correct term to avoid people thinking that it is refundable.

Regarding the percentage, I also think that 50% is a little extreme, specially for my demographics, so I will start with 33% and take it from there.

Anyways, I'm going to follow the advise and consult an attorney to structure my contract in a safe way, it can save me some head aches in the future.

Once again, thank all for taking the time to help me with your responses.

Good vibes to you all.

Pachy

I do 1/3 on booking, 1/3 on or before the date (typically a post-dated cheque), 1/3 when they get the images (when they pickup the CD, or before it is mailed).

I find it breaks it up for them and they aren't stuck with 50% right off the bat. It also gives me most of my money on the day, and they don't get any results until it is paid in full other then a couple teaser images.