What is Tura film?

Hi. I made an EBay purchase of what was supposed to be 100' of 35mm

Agfa 100 B&W film. What I got was a roll of something called Tura

100 professional which, upon query, the shipper said was

Agfa's "house" film. What I'm wondering is whether I should waste

time and chemicals on this film or just write it off to a bad

internet experience. Any thoughts would be much appreciated and

thanks in advance for them. Garfield

It may be the same seller who recently raised my suspicions. I saw auction listings showing Tura paper, in a green package. Some of the auctions claimed it to be Ilford, while others claimed it to be Agfa paper. The packaging was exactly the same for both, which seems odd. If the seller is "admiralhfs", his feedback certainly indicates some concern from his customers as to what brand they actually bought.

Garfield, his profile says "100% satisfaction or a refund". Maybe send it back?

While it's tempting to pick up on deals on film and paper, in the end it may be a false economy. I bought several kinds of repackaged paper from Econozone. One of the papers turned out to be something I really liked. Now, however, I have no way of dependably getting the same paper again, and the prints that I made, some of which are quite nice, are not repeatable.

You've got the right one, Doug. To keep the record scrupulously straight, he did offer a full refund after a somewhat prolonged and not always pleasant email exchange. But by then I was so fed up with the whole thing, I told him to forget about it. The Tura site does seem legitimate so maybe I'll try the film. What really bothered me was paying for Agfa and then getting this Tura with no explanation as to why. The seller's EBay privileges were suspended around the time of our little exchange but the site is back in operation today--without any Tura film. Garfield

I checked out the Tura website mentioned. Not a lot of info. They do have developing times and they don't match the Agfa numbers. OTOH I don't trust the Tura numbers. The time for Rodinal 1:25 seems no different then the 1:50 time.If you can send it back and get a full refund send it back. If you can't I wouldn't toss it. Test it out who knows maybe it's okay.

If Ecozone is the firm I think it is I wouldn't buy from them if the rest of the world had disappeared.

Tura is a German company that has been around for many years. I used their stuff in the early 80's. It has always been good materials. Currently their C41 film is made by Agfa and their B&W is made by Ilford.

I think that they currently only make paper and chemistry.

Locally in Orlando, FL I picked up a bunch of Tura C41 in 12 exp rolls and was very pleased with it. It is Agfa product; it's just branded as Tura.

Not to worry as long as it's stored properly.

Ilford makes a 100 speed film called Pan 100 that is designed for sale in less developed countries. Some people say it is FP4+, others say it is just OK, others say it is lousy. I personally don't know.

Ilford does sell FP4+ (a very good film) for rebranding to some companies (like Arista). Maybe you can determine which film it is by looking at development times recommended by Tura and Ilford and see which ones match.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions/advice on this one. I thought after 25 going on 30 years in the news business that I had seen pretty much all there was to see. But I guess it just proves that it's never too late to learn, and never too late to make that silly incautious error in judgement. I ran 24 frames of Tura through my HC110 last night and got usable negs--not great but printable. The edge-marking ID numbers and letters were upsidedown and backwards to the emulsion but they said "P 100" which leads me to believe that this batch is probably regurgitated Ilford stock--Pan 100? I don't suppose I'd have picked that up without the help of folks here. So thanks again. I wonder if I should tell Mr. Admiral HFS that it wasn't Agfa of any kind?

I've visited his auctions and he is clearly playing this up as Agfa APX, even though he DOES say it's tura film. This whole thing sounds shady to me. If I was in your shoes, I would demand a refund, You paid a LOT of money considering you recieved some crappy b-stock film instead of what he promised to be Agfa's house film! Have you done side-by-side comparisons of this film to apx or fp4+ yet?

And thanks for the "Heads Up", I was considering this film as well, thinking it WAS repackaged apx!

I just shot a test roll of the "FP4 Plus" stuff. The case says Tura FP125 Plus, the film says FP 150. I exposed at EI100 and developed for six minutes in Ilfosol S (picked that time based on Ilford's chart for FP4 Plus). I suppose I should have tried 125 first, but oh well :). I ended up with fairly thin negatives. They're quite contrasty. I've never used FP4 Plus before, so I don't have anything to compare these to as a baseline. I'm in the process of scanning the roll, and I'll post a link to the scans when I'm finished.

This guy could be a scam artist, or he could just be reading too much photo.net.

It seems that every week there is some off-handed claim that Forte is rebranded

Bergger, Hp5+ is rebranded Velvia, or TMZ is a rebranded Volvo station-wagon.

I'm sure that some of these claims are true, but many people base their remarks

on similar looks, ISO, and/or country or facility of origin. This isn't substantial

evidence. We also shouldn't confuse actual rebranding with imitation. Going the

other way, different dev charts might not mean different films. Most film

manufacturers admt that their numbers are subjective, and if I were selling

rebranded TMX, say, I might well suggest a little less development than does

Kodak.

Clearly some films are rebrands (I doubt that many stores with house films

manufacture them, for example), but I just thought I should point out that these

claims should be taken with a grain of salt.

You can find out about the company at

http://www.tura-film.de/en/0100.html

It is an rapidly expanding independent manufacturer in Germany not owned in any way by Agfa. There was an article in the european press recently about parterships they had forged. It is very possible that they licence some technology from Agfa, but they also develop their own products. They manufacture chemicals,film and paper. You can find development times at www.digitaltruth.com

I have been using their products for several years here in The UK and have been very pleased with the results.

Passing it off as Agfa "House" film is totally incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently dealing with the same seller at ebay about the exact same thing. I bought film under the impression that it would be Ilford FP-4 36 exp. what i got was Tura professional, so it sounds like a pretty similar story. i was wondering if you have notified ebay about the situation, i sent a complaint in tonight. it would be great if you could do the same.

here is a link to the auction page, i would love to hear peoples opinions as to what they think it is advertising

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4202&item=2943029122

Looking forward to hearing from everyone

• 2 months later...

Geez,

Did not know I was so popular. I am flattered! Let's cut to the chase and get to the meat of the issue. TURA film. Did you know that AGFA does not make any of their own B&W C-41? Do you know who makes it for them? I will give you a hint - I_F_R_. Did you know that at one time TURA purchased film from ILFORD to package under their name? Did you know that TURA does all of AGFA's private label work?

AGFA does not have a "HOUSE" brand as they are the manufucturer with their own label. TURA manufucturers nada, zip, zilch, squat. Everything they sell is made for them by an O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufuacturer). What TURA does do is package OEM products for private companies with their "HOUSE" branding.

The relationship with AGFA provides TURA with the perfect avenue to ILFORD products. Until the exchange rate got crazy, you would find TURA branded ILFORD products in many of your familiar shops. When the rate returns to normal that will be the case again.

As for the suspension, I was suspended in the 2nd week of June for what eBay deemed SPAMMING. I would await the end of auction and send the losing bidders of any one auction an email directing them to either an auction I had running or my eBay store for the exact smae item at the same price or better. I did this from within eBay's own system by clicking on the user name. I NEVER offered to sell off of eBay, all sales were conducted through eBay. Some unsavory sellers that shill bid reported this via their "shill" accounts and I was suspended for five (5) days.

It is also of relevant to mention that there are two issues being presented in this thread. One regarding ILFORD film and another regarding AGFA film. I sell both labeled under the TURA brand. They are in fact ILFORD & AGFA film. The same film you would get if you purchased it in the respective companies branded boxes.

Chris, developed his FP-125 in accordance with P 150 and saw the results. It is interesting that he did not follow up with his results at the proper developement.

Before you condem, accuse & out and out call fraud/SCAM, might it behoove you to ask.

- Michael