What is the value of my equipment?

j_s43

If someone has the time and knowledge to do this, could they tell me the value of all of this? I got a great deal on

Ebay for everything below, but I would like to know what the estimated retail value is of everything combined.

I would appreciate any answers! I would like to get the equipment insured.

Nikon D80 NEW Digital SLR Camera

Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical AF Wide Angle-Tele Zoom Lens with Hood

58mm 2x Telephoto Lens

Deluxe Video & Photo Tripod

Digital Slave Flash 318AF

SCREEN PROTECTORS

Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD AF Macro Auto Focus Zoom Lens with Hood

58mm Wide Angle Lens

58mm 3 Piece Filter Kit #FLK58mm

Secure Digital USB Memory Card Reader CR-35M

Digital Concepts BackPack

Deluxe Lens Optics Cleaning Kit (lck)

Flexible Table Top Tripod

Heavy Duty Aluminum Hard Case

Digital Camera 3 Year Extended Warranty– Under $1,000

8GB SD Ultra High Speed Memory Card

4GB SD Ultra High Speed Memory Card

JS,

I must say that the only things of real value here are the D80, the card and the lens.

The lens sells for around $100 and the D80 cost is well known - check Amazon or B&H for the latest price.

All the rest is just 'fluff' - it won't be the best available and the "Deluxe Lens Optics Cleaning Kit" sounds dubious to me - no maker name.

Add the cost of the lens, the camera and TOPS $100 for the rest and see if the deal is still good. Oh - don't forget to add shipping and 'handling' fees - and who is the extended warranty with?

Good luck...

Ian

Concerning the Tamron 28-80 lens I found the following comment:

"I personally think that the Tamron 28-80mm f3.5-f5.6 is a very bad lens. It’s maybe good for beginners to learn something, but otherwise it’s awful. Colours aren’t so good, sharpness is bad, overexposed areas are huge disaster. I’ve tried it with a Canon EOS 350D (a.k.a. Digital Rebel XT) and the results were dreadful."

That good deal is starting to fall apart sadly...

Ian

JS, you didn't by any chance buy this ket off eBay from one of the known scammers there? You might want to check resellerratings.com to see what people have to say about your vendor. Most of the time these kits are way overprized - or if they are not to begin with, then teh vendor will call you to"verify" your order and tell you that the camera comes without battery (which it doesn;t of course) manual, etc. etc. and that you need to buy these things seperately AND at a huge price. It never pays to buy anywhere but a reputable seller,like B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc. etc.

I think a hodgepodge of gear as you mention is worth about half of what you paid for it. As a rule of thumb: 50 %, no more.

Why do I say that? You seem not to have understood what you bought, hence i assume you were taken, and thus maybe 1/2

of your paid price seems accurate value. This happens all the time with impulse buyers who know not what they are getting into

but are enamored with all the stuff they can own for that "one low price", or so they think. Sorry to burst your bubble.

But do a KEH check and please let us know if I have to revise my estimate of worth versus price. Good worrying, and good

luck using all that stuff.

Thank you for all your responses. To answer some of your questions, I did try to compare prices of the individual

lenses, the D80 itself, and with the memory cards, however I was still interested in seeing what you all thought since

I am not 100% sure.. I paid $884 plus tax which came to $958 total. THEN...I did expedite shipping and got it

within 2 days, insured the entire shipment, and got the 3 year warranty, which includes free annual cleanings for 3

years (I don't have the paperwork in front of me, so I'm not sure who the warranty is with), which cost $160. I'm

assuming that even with all the "fluff", I paid about average?

For example, below is a deal I found at Best Buy which is still more than I paid and comes with less equipment

(Hopefully I haven't been too naive):

Save $110 when you buy this discounted package. Great for action shots, this 10.2-megapixel camera's fast start-up

time and custom operation settings take great sports photos. Includes extra lens, flash and filter.

Camera features: 10.2 megapixels; DX-format RGB CCD; 18-135mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens; 2.5" TFT LCD; 12-bit

Image Processing engine; 7 Digital Vari-Program modes; direct-print capability

Includes extra lens: a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR telephoto lens

Includes a Nikon Speedlight external flash

Includes Sunpak PlatinumPlus 67mm UV lens filter to protect your lens and filter out UV haze

Special package savings of $110 (discounted from individual-item total: reg. price $1,979.96 - $110.00 instant

savings = $1,869.96 final price)

Thanks again for your responses. Feel free to reply again!

That does not sound too bad - but I do find that half the fun of photography is selecting the accessories the YOU need - the ones that you actually will use. Anyway, see how you get on with the items that arrive - they may be OK.

One more thing. The "Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical AF Wide Angle-Tele Zoom Lens" will not actually be wide at all on your D80 - it will be like looking through a 45mm lens on 35mm format. The lens you will be getting was designed for film cameras, so that is why it is listed as 'wide angle'.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I did receive the equipment and everything seems to be great. Then again, I am new to this, so I don't have much to compare it to! :)

Being inexperienced, I just figured the 28-80mm was the basic lens used to take regular everyday shots...nothing too close and nothing too far. As you can imagine, I have a lot to learn. .

What should I have gotten instead?

JS,

have a read here: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-AF-S-Nikkor/dp/B000LWJ1ES and see if this

would suit you. I would say that this lens will be perfect on your D80 and it will give you some wider shots (28mm on

35mm format). As has been said before, the lenses are the most important purchaces you make - they dictate the

quality of the final print.

Ian

Go to "nikonusa.com" and do an online registration for your D80. (the serial # is on the camera's base) If registers OK, then it is a USA model. Grey market products will work fine, but due to being imported into USA, not directly through Nikon's channels, they lack an official "nikon usa" warranty. Nikon will not service a grey market camera under warranty,